• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for Child being sick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebrace

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I turned in my 1 month notice to The Sunglass Hut with April 1 as my last day.
Ever since then they have made my life a living hell. They have changed my schedule without letting me know causing me to be late for shifts.
On Tuesday (3/29/05) my 20 month old daughter became very ill. I had the day off so I spent the day at the doctors and home with her. On Wednesday (3/30/05) I only had three shifts left one of them being the closing shift that night. My daughters condition worsened and I began to think that I may need to take her in to the ER. I called my manager to see if it was okay for me to try and find coverage for my shift. She said that that was fine and told me which employee to try. I tried numerous people and was unsuccessful and findin coverage. I then decided to go and cover the shift myself even though my child was sick. I showed up to work 15 minutes early. When I arrived my manager told me to turn in my keys and leave. They have refused to send me my check and told other employees that I had ulterior motives for getting off. My marriage is in trouble and so this job was my single source of income. My reason for quitting was that their continued lack of support for their employees with families was making it so that I was coming in sick and feeling used. Please tell me what I should do. I for sure do not want my job back but there are other people in the company that agree with me but cannot afford to quit.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can contact your state department of labor about the unreleased check.

However, barring a condition that would qualify for FMLA or in a very few cases the ADA, the company has no legal obligation to take your family situations, including a child's illness, into consideration. They are not required to give you extra time off, allow you to come in late/early for shifts, or schedule you for hours that are convenient for you. They are not obligated to be "supportive" of your family situation.

So on the basis of what you have posted, other than the unpaid check (and I've told you what to do for that) I'm not sure what you want me to tell you. You don't get to sue them because you don't like their family policies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">