• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would brakes keep me from carting my son to the ER?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chevzilla

What is the name of your state?Oregon USA...
I fell on my way out of a shopping center. I was just finished shopping and while pushing a shopping cart containing my young son, I leaned on the cart with my weight and was moving too fast and it flipped out from under me an landed on him breaking his leg.Now I still feel quite terrible that I caused this to happen but when I contacted the store to maybe help with just the med bill The guy made me even worse.This happened 15 mths ago and now Im able to talk about it.Since this has happened I have been keeping an eye on other carts in my local area and they are the tippyist ones Ive seen in comparison.Some even have a anti-flip bar. Now the insurance bill was paid by the state health plan so there are no looming bills. Should I pusue to keep this from happening again? I feel very badly from this experience but everytime I go to that store I have a real problem with those carts...

You Are Guilty

chevzilla said:
What is the name of your state?Oregon USA...
I fell on my way out of a shopping center. I was just finished shopping and while pushing a shopping cart containing my young son, I leaned on the cart with my weight and was moving too fast and it flipped out from under me an landed on him breaking his leg.Now I still feel quite terrible that I caused this to happen but when I contacted the store to maybe help with just the med bill The guy made me even worse.This happened 15 mths ago and now Im able to talk about it.Since this has happened I have been keeping an eye on other carts in my local area and they are the tippyist ones Ive seen in comparison.Some even have a anti-flip bar. Now the insurance bill was paid by the state health plan so there are no looming bills. Should I pusue to keep this from happening again? I feel very badly from this experience but everytime I go to that store I have a real problem with those carts...
Wait a minute. The shopping carts have wheelie bars?? Like these?

A

absconder

Bad bad carts

Dont use the carts! Maybe the shopping cart owner should be suing you for damaging 1 of their carts!

stephenk

"I was just finished shopping and while pushing a shopping cart containing my young son, I leaned on the cart with my weight and was moving too fast and it flipped out from under me an landed on him breaking his leg."

Were you trying to ride the cart like a go-kart with your feet on the bar below the main basket?

chevzilla

I more leaned on the cross bar and raised my feet slightly and kinda rode it . there was a SLIGHT dip in the asphalt and it flipd so quick my feet went out from under me. I still remember trying to lift the cart on the way down as I landed front first.And the wheelie barz are a little smaller than the ones from the previous writers.

rmet4nzkx

While there may be some design flaw making the cart tipping over more likely under some circumstances, it really sounds as if the reaosn the cart flipped over on your child was because you were traveling too fast with it to control it and lost control of the cart. Now if all the other carts at the same store of the same size have wheelie bars, then you might have a case. Standard sized carts are generally failry stable as long as ther are appropriately loaded. I had a cart tip over with my child in it about 30 years ago, however the cart which was smaller that average, was empty except for my child and it was not moving, he reached out towards me as I was looking at something. The store offered to pay medical bills. You can place a claim with the store, but they may not pay for everything because you contributed to the accident.

stephenk

sorry but you caused the accident. the carts are not meant for you to ride like a wagon. with your child and you all on one side of the cart you made the cart unstable.

chevzilla

After this incident I have become more aware of other carts in local stores. The cart that fliped seemed to be the only cart style that had that a tendence to flip with light pressure. Most of the others had to be tipd back first before they flipd.Also the carts seemed to be aged and possibly twards the end of there life cycle...Most of the newer carts are redesigned not to flip. Seems this cart companys have had a reason to redesign...

rmet4nzkx

chevzilla said:
After this incident I have become more aware of other carts in local stores. The cart that fliped seemed to be the only cart style that had that a tendence to flip with light pressure. Most of the others had to be tipd back first before they flipd.Also the carts seemed to be aged and possibly twards the end of there life cycle...Most of the newer carts are redesigned not to flip. Seems this cart companys have had a reason to redesign...
That may be true, but that doesn't change the fact that you were not controlling the cart and playing with it, that is why you didn't make a claim when you had an accident with it, because common sense told you that you were at fault. Now that your son has had more serious injuries, you are looking for someone to blame. Well you can try to make a claim, tell us how that goes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">