• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nosey Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floridawildfire

What is the name of your state? Florida, Flagler County

I live on a canal with no neighbors behind me but there are neighbors in the front, across the street. They are in their 70's with a 40-ish daughter living with them. Their front windows face my house and I realize that when there is activity outside my home it will generate some curiosity. The problem is with the two women living there. They make no bones about peering outside at everything that goes on at my home. At night when their house is lit up they will open their drapes and actually stand there peering at us. It doesn't matter if we are unloading groceries from the car, mowing the lawn, working in the garage or just entering and exiting our home. It's very disturbing and causes me to feel slightly violated.

Is there anything that can be done to lessen their desire to stake out our home?

S

seniorjudge

floridawildfire said:
What is the name of your state? Florida, Flagler County

I live on a canal with no neighbors behind me but there are neighbors in the front, across the street. They are in their 70's with a 40-ish daughter living with them. Their front windows face my house and I realize that when there is activity outside my home it will generate some curiosity. The problem is with the two women living there. They make no bones about peering outside at everything that goes on at my home. At night when their house is lit up they will open their drapes and actually stand there peering at us. It doesn't matter if we are unloading groceries from the car, mowing the lawn, working in the garage or just entering and exiting our home. It's very disturbing and causes me to feel slightly violated.

Is there anything that can be done to lessen their desire to stake out our home?

I don't know of any way to make people stop looking out their windows.

Warped

Have you tried mooning them? Wait a minute... that might be a bad idea. The husband of the house might start staring too... :(

Seriously though, are you acquainted with your nosy neighbors? Maybe they think you're a nice person and want to know you better. *shrug*

floridawildfire

LOLThan

Thanks for the chuckle er rather belly laugh.
Tonight, drifting off to sleep, a giggle will bubble out of the depths of my spirit, piercing the darkness in glee of three comical mind melts.

A

absconder

NO you cannot stop someone from looking out their front window.Why do these posts always come from people who seem sane?

ms.magoo

Nosey Neighbours

Lol. Here's one, put up a big mirror in your window an when they go to stare at you they'll only see themselves, lol. Maybe a light motion detector, everytime they look in your window the light blares on an blinds em. Or maybe some good blinds, so you can still see out an they only see so much. Or how bout putting up a even phony kinda cam recorder an point it towards them, so they think you're taping their every move too. Or maybe go over to them an ask them politely to stop staring at me.

floridawildfire

still chuckling

Thanks for the suggestions!

In reply to the message about getting to know them...when I moved into the neighborhood, I went from door to door introducing myself and offering a neighborly hand. I'm the kind of neighbor that takes cookies to the newbies, helps out when I see a need, etc. These people are inactive and bored with nothing else to do but POST themselves, sometimes with a bowl of popcorn, at the window to catch a glimpse of the exciting life I lead. hehehehehehe. Like I said, a glance out the window now and then is normal. Peering, peeping and stalking is not.

Keep the suggestions coming...no pun intended. snicker snicker

Greg 2

Plant some hedge or other greenery in thier line of sight and let it grow tall enough for privacy. I kinda like the obvious outdoor camera idea.
A 'friendly' 'hello' wave of the hand might embaress them enough to cause them to stop.

Seriously though-you might be thanking them should a burgular stop at your home and try any 'funny' business.

ENASNI

Hello

I am Allen Funt
dunt dunt dunt dunt dunt ... dunt dunt.
You are on candid camara
See the mama burn the food.
see the daddy watch the tv
see the dog sneak the treat...
all on your neighborhood watch.,, but not.. dunt dunt dunt

Joonuper

Stare Hard

Eye for an eye. Just stare back. Just stand there, with a drooling zombie like expression on your face and stare directly back at them. If you have friends over, encourage them to do the same. Maybe if your backyard BBQ of 20 people is just ogling at them, they'll go about their business. :eek:

The kind of people she is describing have a screw loose, they wouldn't get the suggestion of, staring back at them. I have had, and still do have neighbors like that. The new ones actually told me they were spying on me, and made goggles of their hands over their eyes. I have tried staring back. They don't get it, they just keep staring. I never knew how interesting I really was, I guess. Good luck, like the judge said, as long as they aren't trespassing, I don't know what you could do, people love looking out their windows. I have planted trees the perimeter of my land, I would plant a screen if I were you.

Doncha just LOVE people sometimes?

We (me and my same-sex partner) live in very tightly-packed condo complex, right on a parking courtyard. Across the lot from my unit is this old bat who sits outside all day in a Wal-Mart-bought plastic chair, monitoring what goes on around our court. Seeing as we are an alternative couple, she quickly became fixated on our comings-and-goings. It didn't take long for us to start calling her "Gladys Kravitz."

We were totally annoyed by her until we realized that the chances of someone ever breaking into our house were nil, what with this constant watchdog. Now we call her "the FBI."

One thing that has helped the situation: whenever we see her, we give her a friendly wave. Of course she never waves back, but I think once she saw that she wasn't bothering us, her staring sessions have been shorter. So take the high road and remember... the neighbors are freaks, not you.

treese

My sister lived in a second floor apartment, the nosy neighbor lived in the third floor right across the street. For months, this woman would sit in her window and just watch everything my sister & her family did. Sis had no idea and it seems that the woman had a decent view of the majority of the apartment. Sis never pulled down the shades and had sheer curtains so from evening on the woman had a very clear view with the lights on.

One day, another neighbor stopped over and told her that this woman was looking in the windows and had made comments about my sister's (obsessive/compulsive) cleaning habits, parenting techniques and more. My sister was ticked off ... so her hubby began walking around the house in his tighty whities, belly hanging out. They turned it into an ongoing joke, sometimes they waved to her. When my sis had a birthday party for one of her kids, she displayed all the presents at the window to give the neighbor a good view.

The woman never stopped even after they made it clear that they knew she was watching. She didn't get it. Finally she moved out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">