• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

macklin04

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Can my ex-wife request the courts consider my live in girlfriend's income as basis to increase my child support payments? What if my girlfriend and I get married?

LdiJ

macklin04 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Can my ex-wife request the courts consider my live in girlfriend's income as basis to increase my child support payments? What if my girlfriend and I get married?
The only way that the courts can take your girlfriend's/new spouse's income into consideration is if you are seriously in arrears, unemployed or seriously under employed. Even then, your girlfriend's/spouse's income can't be considered for current support...but only for how much you may be required to pay towards arrearages.

VeronicaGia

However, before and after marriage, keep everything separate. Savings and checking accounts, and all assets. If you fall behind on support and have joint accounts, the state can sieze the accounts. If her accounts are separate with you as only the beneficiary, they cannot be touched.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">