• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deed v. Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alrak

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

1) What is the difference between a deed and a title?

2) Is title insurance required by law?

nextwife

Title is the combined record of what now affects the real estate. The current "condition of title" would comprise all remaining liens, mortgages, judgements, easments, ROWs, recorded deed restrictions, ownership interests, and potential ownership interests that appear in the combined public records. A deed is merely a conveyance of that parties ownership interest and in no way assures one of having full and clear title. One can only convey what THEY own.

Personally, I would not TOUCH ownership on a piece of RE WITHOUT title insurance. My experience is that many parties don't themselves really know the condition of title, and it is too big a risk to take on ownership without it.

No, there are many types of RE conveyances that occur without benefit of title insurance. Again, I don't need a law to tell me not to be naive. And buying ANY RE, even for $1.00, WITHOUT title insurance (because of environmental lien liabilty) is very naive.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">