• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobbie111

I work in Maryland and my employer pays for my insurance. They have not changed their policies nor do any other employees pay for their insurance. Now that I am off on disability they are insisting that I pay my insurance in full while on disability. Is this legal?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Possibly. Only five states require an employer to provide disability insurance and Maryland is NOT one of them. If the plan has changed in the interim and all employees have been required to start paying the premiums, it's legal. If the plan document specifically says that anyone who uses the plan must start paying the premiums in full, it may or may not be legal. If you and only you have to pay the full premiums, it is almost certainly not legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">