• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gettin no where......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sohc00civic

The state I live in is Washington..... (great state for child support...... not!)

Anywho I have a child who is now 7 yrs old and I havent seen for 4 years. Mother lives 10 miles from my house and its pretty much a long drawn out story but basically Ive paid support since she left (never married). Now I pay the support but cant get any help from anywhere what to do to get the visitation of my child. Talking to the ex about it is totally out of the question, will create too much drama and will likely end up in jail time for me according to the domestic dispute laws in this great state. No paterinty was ever done just paper work comming in the mail stating "you pay this" and after some time the state thought it was easyer "transaction" for them to just deduct from my wages. Any "real" info on this would greatly help. Also tried to go to the county facilitators but no real action there and getting a lawyer is too damn expensive factoring in the child support payments.

abstract99

File for contempt for the visitation thing. Plain and simple. Did you sign the birth certificate? POOF..... instant paternity. Child support is a really simple thing to do yourself (only if you cannot afford a lawyer) you just need to make sure that you know the CS guidelines from top to bottom and then back again.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
newguyhere said:
File for contempt for the visitation thing. Plain and simple. Did you sign the birth certificate? POOF..... instant paternity. Child support is a really simple thing to do yourself (only if you cannot afford a lawyer) you just need to make sure that you know the CS guidelines from top to bottom and then back again.
Uuuuh, no. Sorry, newguy - this isn't correct. If there is no order for visitation (and it sounds as though there is not), there is NO contempt. Mom is not required to be nice and provide access to the kid outside of a court order.

Further, simply signing the birth certificate does NOT establish paternity. An Acknowledgement of Paternity (signed by both mother and father) must be filed with the state. Now, since there IS apparently a support order, it is likely that, in this case, paternity has been established. All that means is that Dad has the right to file for visitation and/or custody of the child. It does not automatically give him visitation rights.

OP, this may giev you a place to start on filing for visitation. http://www.courts.wa.gov/selfhelp/index.cfm?fa=selfhelp.display&fileID=resource#A8

abstract99

stealth2 said:
Uuuuh, no. Sorry, newguy - this isn't correct. If there is no order for visitation (and it sounds as though there is not), there is NO contempt. Mom is not required to be nice and provide access to the kid outside of a court order.

Further, simply signing the birth certificate does NOT establish paternity. An Acknowledgement of Paternity (signed by both mother and father) must be filed with the state. Now, since there IS apparently a support order, it is likely that, in this case, paternity has been established. All that means is that Dad has the right to file for visitation and/or custody of the child. It does not automatically give him visitation rights.

OP, this may giev you a place to start on filing for visitation. http://www.courts.wa.gov/selfhelp/index.cfm?fa=selfhelp.display&fileID=resource#A8
Yeah I am gonna just stop answering the paternity questions here cuz I am a little confused on the guidelines. I was under the impression that there was some type of order for visitation already but then again I am starting to get tired, time for bed, might have read it wrong. thanks Stealth. Oh and why is your name stealth?

abstract99

stealth2 said:
Because I try to stay under the radar as I have an ex who likes to follow me around the internet.
Ahhh. Well that is nice to know. I follow my ex around on the internet but only because she has something written about her at www.ripoffreport.com as being a deadbeat mom. I contributed nothing to this but it is nice to know that I am not the only person that thinks this.

Sohc00civic

Thanks Stealth..... this is what I got from that but not too sure what it all adds up too. Where do I get these forms to fill out? The county city building in my city is pretty retarded so spending half you life trying to go form office to office is what I think it all intails there. Any help would be greatly appreiciated. On another note if I signed my parental rights over (like I really have any now) would that intail me to keep paying or just stop paying child support? Whats that all about?
a. Parents--Married

You can file a Motion For A Temporary Order Establishing a Parenting Plan. Use the regular Parenting Plan form, but check the box near the top of the front page showing that it is a temporary Parenting Plan.

First you have to file with the clerk of the superior court the Summons and Petition for Dissolution (or Legal Separation), serve the papers on the other party, and file the Return of Service with the court.

b. Parents--Unmarried

Same as for married parents, only file the Petition for Establishment of Parentage form, instead of the Petition for Dissolution.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dude - how/where to get the forms is right in that link I posted for you. All you had to do was scroll up a teeny little bit to find:

Telephone

Purchase forms via voice mail line, open 24 hours: (360) 705-5328 or Request free response forms, instructions, child support worksheets.

Computer
Web Page--http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms

Free forms and instructions available 24 hours a day.

Or contact:
Merrie Gough
(360) 357-2128
And no, you cannot simply sign away your rights. But to establish any visitation rights, you MUST ask the court to give them to you. That it's apparently taken you 4 years to bestir yourself doesn't say anything overly impressive.

Shay-Pari'e

Sohc00civic said:
The state I live in is Washington..... (great state for child support...... not!)

Anywho I have a child who is now 7 yrs old and I havent seen for 4 years. Mother lives 10 miles from my house and its pretty much a long drawn out story but basically Ive paid support since she left (never married). I'm sorry, but there is no other reason for you to NOT know your child, other than you are lazy and do not give a crap. Are you really this dense to not know that you have rights to visitation, custody, or anything else?

Now I pay the support but cant get any help from anywhere what to do to get the visitation of my child. Who made the court ordered support? The judge? Did you not bring up visitation at that hearing? Did you even do a DNA test? If you went to court for child support, then you should not be whining that your child lives down the road. Where is your head DAD?

Talking to the ex about it is totally out of the question, will create too much drama and will likely end up in jail time for me according to the domestic dispute laws in this great state. WHY? What is your history? Have you been charged with DV?

No paterinty was ever done just paper work comming in the mail stating "you pay this" and after some time the state thought it was easyer "transaction" for them to just deduct from my wages. Any "real" info on this would greatly help. Also tried to go to the county facilitators but no real action there and getting a lawyer is too damn expensive factoring in the child support payments.

You acknowledged being the father somewhere down the road. You should have requested a DNA a long time ago.

Why have you not filed for visitation? Why have you not done a DNA test? You go to the same court house that obligated you to child support to file for visitation/custady.

Where is your Brain?

VeronicaGia

Since you cannot afford an attorney, your only option is to search for WA family law (could be domestic law, divorce law, custody law, child support law) and read up and understand their laws. THEN, look for WA court forms and figure out how to fill them out, have them file and served properly and wait for your court date.

You must file for and receive court ordered visitation before mom has to "allow" anything. This will take some time, but without an attorney it's your best bet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">