• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abstract99

What is the name of your state? AZ

I was wondering what qualifies as medical expenses? My wife is in remission for cancer and her medical bills cost us thousands upon thousands of dollars fo r treatment. Because of her treatments she doesn't work all that much. Can I take these bills into account when calculating child support? She gets injections once a week at the cost of over 800 dollars a treatment. And has to have a clososkpoy done once a month at the cost of around 1500 per procedure. Medical insurance does not cover a lot when it comes to this kind of stuff.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Just playing devil's advocate here. Suppose the shoe was on the other foot, and it was your ex's spouse with the extreme medical expenses... would you consider it fair for your support to increase as a result?

abstract99

stealth2 said:
Just playing devil's advocate here. Suppose the shoe was on the other foot, and it was your ex's spouse with the extreme medical expenses... would you consider it fair for your support to increase as a result?

If I had sole custody and she was the one paying me support. Honestly yes. I would. I am not a spiteful person at all. I realize that people come under hard times. As much as my EX walks all over me she is still the mother of my children and I wouldn't expect her to go into poverty because she can't pay the medical bills. What affects the childrens family, wheather it be in my house or hers, will eventually effect the children too. For me, they are all that is important. Money comes and goes. It doesn't buy love or happiness. (Even though I would probably be a lot happier if I never had to worry about money.) I am sure that I could make due and ensure that the children are cared for while the support is lowered. I see where you are coming from though. But I am really a nice guy. I hate to see people suffer. My wife has actually skipped treatments in the past because we could simply not afford them. Yeah doc was pretty pissed though.

abstract99

Would I feel it unfair if it was my support that had to increase? Yes. But only for one reason.... My ex does not allow me to see my children.. If she acted like she cared at all I would not mind but she doesn't. You see, it is peroples actions that can effect a lot of things in their lives.

VeronicaGia

I think the fact that it is your wife, not you, that is incurring these bills could be a toss up. If they were your bills, they could be considered.

No one can tell you what a judge would rule, but it would be worth it to bring it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">