• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock Options Exercise and Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alvaro167

What is the name of your state?CA
Next week I'm exercising Nonstatutory Stock Option vested between 2001-MARCH2005 from my former employeer. I understand that the difference between the exercise price and the current market price for the stock will be considered taxable income.
If I choose to sell the stock right away, will I get penalized because I didn't hold on to them for a year? If so, what's the fee/penalty/percentage?
THANK YOU!
a :)

Last edited:

rhh

just had the same dilema...

if you buy and sell.....then it will be treated as ordinary income. fyi...if it is a significant amount....read up on alternative minimum taxes. AKA AMT this is a must! also, you can purchase and hold to create a long term gain.....however, there are risks in doing so. contact the irs or a tax accountant.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">