• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement from a railroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

railroad

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin. I recently purchased 25 acres of land divided by an operating railroad. The access from one part to the other is an underpass tunnel constructed in the 1856's. It has been used on and off for 150 years. The deed recorded in 1856 describes this as a "cattle passage". The railroad contends the easement description is to be taken literally. That is, use the passage for cattle. I, of course want to use the property for more current uses. The land is still zoned for agricultural use; and I don't intend to change that useage. I am allowed to put a home on this part of the property without a zoning change; but I need access. Any hope I can expand the scope of the easement without a battle?

BelizeBreeze

Before I get into this further, answer this question:

From whom did you purchase the propety? (the railroad or a private party)
Is the railroad granted an easement through the property?

railroad

If I read the deed corectly;In 1856 the railroad bought a strip of land "fee simple(?)"; then allowed the former owner this "cattle passage". I bought the split parcel from a subsequent owner; who used the passage.

BelizeBreeze

railroad said:
If I read the deed corectly;In 1856 the railroad bought a strip of land "fee simple(?)"; then allowed the former owner this "cattle passage". I bought the split parcel from a subsequent owner; who used the passage.
O.K. let's try this once more. On your deed, is there an easement agreement which states you have the 'cattle access' rights or not?

BelizeBreeze

I have been researching your situation a bit in the last few hours and I have some advice, which includes hiring a real estate attorney to file for affirmative relief in the form of a change in the easement definition.

Also, point your attorney to LOZIER v. BLATTLAND INVESTMENTS, LLC which can be found here.

I have a feeling that the railroad does not want to maintain the overpass and is therefore fighting the change of access requirements. You, however, face an uphill fight.

railroad

The deed states the "cattle Passage" to be built for $10. paid by the owner iof the split parcels. So yes, the deed allows for a "cattle passage". I assume this is an easement.

BelizeBreeze

railroad said:
The deed states the "cattle Passage" to be built for $10. paid by the owner iof the split parcels. So yes, the deed allows for a "cattle passage". I assume this is an easement.
Yes, it is an easement so read my previous post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">