• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search And Rescue Dogs - Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hrhajm

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Thank you for considering my question.

I am having my house remodeled. The same 5 contractors are in my house every day.
Wednesday March 30 I discovered jewelry missing and called the police. I was able to tell the police that the time frame it was taken was between 11.30 and 3.30 because I had placed it in the box before goIng to lunch, and went to retrieve it when I returned.
Cutting a long story short - the police dusted for prints on the container the jewelry was in, and although each of the contractors agreed to be fingerprinted - the police did not fingerprint anyone, even though they said they had a 'good print'.
The police then brought 3 search and rescue 'sniff' dogs to my home and all three dogs identified the same contractor; yet they did not arrest him.
Could you please explain to me why that is and if I have any civil recourse.
They are telling me that my case will be assigned to a detective at the PD on Monday who will present the case to the district attorney in the hopes he takes the case.
I am baffled, frustrated and very upset; and would appreciate any assistance, advice or direction that you could provide.
Thank you.

stephenk

the dogs identified the same contractor regarding what? that the guy was in your house? that the guy opened the jewelry box?

hrhajm

Thanks for the reply.

Should also tell you that the jewelry box was hidden underneath some t-shirts in the back of a dresser drawer.

Additionally, there was a .32 calibre hand gun and bullets stolen but the box that the gun was in was left behind as was the box with some bullets remaining in it.

The Sherriff's department deputy lined up all 5 contractors about 30 feet apart in my street. Then, he took each dog out of his vehicle, one at a time, and gave the dogs the inside of the jewelry box, the t-shirts and the bullet box to sniff; and then told the dog "search". All three dogs went and sat by the same contractor.

Sorry I didnt explain it very well previously.

msiron

That is really interesting. Amazing what sniffers dogs have. I'd trust the dog's nose before a human 'eyewitness' any day.

CdwJava

Contrary to popular belief and television, we don't always hook someone up just because we can. This kind of investigation will almost certainly have to be run past the DA who will have to prosecute the case.

Once a person is arrested, the time for investigation becomes rushed. if the police and/or think they need to obtain a search warrant for the suspect's home or business, or try and track down the items at pawn shops in surrounding areas, they will have very little time after the arrest to investigate as speedy trial rights will attach. They could be in court with ONLY prints and a dog's scent identification ...no jewelry, no witnesses, nothing else at all.

Time is on their side. You rush it, you increase the chance of losing. If they take their time and work methodically they stand a better chance of building a good case.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">