• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steve4112

What is the name of your state?new hampshire I own a business that is not yet profitable. 2 yrs old . I work 60 hrs /wk. I have a draw of 400/wk from this. I also work fulltime making 297/wk . This is untill my business gets going. My child support was based on ten years ago when I made 640.00 per week. Can I go for a reduction of child support or will they base it on both jobs? If I quit my full time job, will I be penilized in some way for doing so?

Also, how does my current wife's salery play a part in this if any?

As well, how does my ex-wife's and her current husband's salery play a part? Note, he make's over three figures and she does not work.

Thank you.

Phnx02

steve4112 said:
What is the name of your state?new hampshire I own a business that is not yet profitable. 2 yrs old . I work 60 hrs /wk. I have a draw of 400/wk from this. I also work fulltime making 297/wk . This is untill my business gets going. My child support was based on ten years ago when I made 640.00 per week. Can I go for a reduction of child support or will they base it on both jobs? If I quit my full time job, will I be penilized in some way for doing so?

Also, how does my current wife's salery play a part in this if any?

As well, how does my ex-wife's and her current husband's salery play a part? Note, he make's over three figures and she does not work.

Thank you.
Yes, both incomes will be considered. Since you are making approximately $100 a week more than you did 10 years ago, more than likely you will not be given a cs decrease. You will need to research your state law to determine if your ex's income can be considered for a modification. Some states allow this, others don't. If she doesn't work, she may be assigned an income either based on her earning capacity from her level of education and previous job history, or the minimum wage. Usually, the earnings of an ex's new spouse is never considered for child support. The children are yours together.....and a new spouse is not legally responsible for supporting step-children.

haiku

Spouses are not responsible for the financial care of thier step children.

The custodial parents income is considered in NH, and if she worked before she married you may be able to have the court impute an income for her.

your business income will not be based on the income you choose to pay yourself, it will be done based on your profit and loss statements. This combined with the w-2s from your full time job will figure your income, for child support.

As a self employed person you would be wise to employ an accountant, familiar with your line of work, to help you figure your taxes and income. Especially for court purposes.

now after you have found out what you truly bring in for income, you can go here, www.supportguidelines.com and click the links for new Hampshire calculator, and get a rough idea as to what you should be paying,and whether or not consulting with a lawyer would be an option.

Quitting your job in an attempt to get a reduction will not go far in court. Reductions can be given but only in situations where you are in hardship through no fault of your own. (quitting your job, BEFORE your business can fulfill your financial obligations is likely to be looked down apon by the judge, and you could even find yourself paying more)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">