• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

30% Federal Tax held on dividends (non-resident aliens)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pristine

What is the name of your state?Can a non-resident alien claim a refund of the 30% US Federal Tax withheld (reportable on Form 1042-S) when filling the 1040-NR form?

I had federal taxes held by the IRS due to the special $3 per share Microsoft dividend paid last December. When I completed Form 1040-NR the final amount due and/or to be refunded came out to zero. Tax Treaty rate for my country is 30%, and the correct tax rate was used by the IRS on Form 1042-S.

I need to know if the 30% tax I paid on the total dividend can be claimed back under any circumstances (I am a former US citizen, married with 3 children - wife and children are all non-US citizens and have no Social Security number – but I doubt if that makes any difference in my case).

Is there any other form that I can fill besides the 1040-NR? Is there any way I can claim even a part of the 30% dividend tax held by the IRS? Can this 30% tax on dividends charged to non-resident aliens be avoided at all?

Thank you for your anticipated help.

Snipes5

It can only be avoided if the treaty rate is lower. If your 1040NR came out to zero, that is your answer. You were properly taxed.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">