• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last year I filed only federal tax, NOT state (PA) tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haroontabrez

What is the name of your state?For Pennsylvania state.

I am stayed in PA during 2003 and moved to NJ recently by the end of 2004. Last year (2004) I filed my Federal tax for 2003 but forgot to file my PA State tax for 2003. Can I file it now?

The second question I have is: I noticed that when I filed my federal tax last year, I guess there was some calculation error on my part and instead of getting refund for my return from IRS, I paid them extra money (by check). Is it possible that I can RE-File by Federal tax for that year (2003) too?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.
Haroon

LdiJ

haroontabrez said:
What is the name of your state?For Pennsylvania state.

I am stayed in PA during 2003 and moved to NJ recently by the end of 2004. Last year (2004) I filed my Federal tax for 2003 but forgot to file my PA State tax for 2003. Can I file it now?

The second question I have is: I noticed that when I filed my federal tax last year, I guess there was some calculation error on my part and instead of getting refund for my return from IRS, I paid them extra money (by check). Is it possible that I can RE-File by Federal tax for that year (2003) too?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.
Haroon
Yes you can file your state tax return late. If you owe taxes you may have some interest and penalties to pay, but its best to get it done. The longer you wait the higher the interest will get.

As far as your federal tax return is concerned, mere mathmatical errors get corrected by the IRS themselves, so there would be no reason to amend your return due to a math error on the form itself. However if you made a math error on the supporting paperwork that caused you to put something inaccurate on the return, then you can file an amended return for 2003.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">