• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This should be simple - no w2, just 1099

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wgilroy

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Stepson (18yo hs grad) worked for his uncle's construction company for part of last year.

Stepson received a 1099-misc with $4420.00 listed as Nonemployee compensation.

I thought this would be easy to run through turbo tax, but there is no W2 info as there are no W2s.

Wife and I claim stepson on our taxes as he meets all the tests (we supported him for over 50% in 2004, etc...)

So my questions are:
1. does he have any federal / state liability since we claimed him?
2. If he does have liability, then how do we figure out his SS, Medicare, and any other monies he may owe?

Snipes5

Put it in on a Schedule C. Claim any expenses he had to do the job. He will owe self employment taxes. Be sure to check the box on the 1040 that indicates he is claimed by someone else as a dependent.

Don't let him work for this relative again. It is fairly obvious that someone of his age is NOT an independent contractor, but rather an employee, and Uncle issued the 1099 so he wouldn't have to pay SS and Medicare for your son.

Cheapo, in my opinion, and also against the law, not to mention a lousy thing to do to a kid.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">