• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Been on SSDI for a few years. Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Delete

State - RI

1. Is it true you can't have too much money in the bank? Do they even really check to see the accounts you have open or anything? I opened up a new checking account like 2 years ago and they never said anything, but there's also never much in it. I'm just wondering in general because I've been saving some of my money each month, 20, 30, 10..etc dollars and its been adding up.

2. I want to buy/finance a car, maybe even lease. I don't care about the overall price, just as long as the montly payments are cheap. The money that goes towards it a month will be less then what SSDI gives me..So it's not like I'm putting 1,000 towards it a month. Would they find out about this and kick me off or something?

3. I'd really like to try and get off of SSDI eventually and do something with my life like go to school or get a job. I know SSDI has some work things, like ticket to work or that trial work period. What is the difference? I've read their website and don't understand any of it. Any programs for going to school like help with paying for it? I'd want to go to some kind of college, not one of those places where they teach you how to use a computer or whatever.

4. I was able to get on SSDI because of doctors and I had to meet with someone and see a psych every few months. They closed my case because I missed an appointment due to a lot of miscommunication issues. Because I'm not seeing any doctors or anything for what got me on SSDI in the first place, does it look like I'm not trying and they will kick me off the checks and my medical insurance as well? The case people told me that it won't happen, but I don't trust them for some reason. They set me up already by closing my case.

Last edited:

BL

Delete said:
State - RI

1. Is it true you can't have too much money in the bank? Do they even really check to see the accounts you have open or anything? I opened up a new checking account like 2 years ago and they never said anything, but there's also never much in it. I'm just wondering in general because I've been saving some of my money each month, 20, 30, 10..etc dollars and its been adding up.

2. I want to buy/finance a car, maybe even lease. I don't care about the overall price, just as long as the montly payments are cheap. The money that goes towards it a month will be less then what SSDI gives me..So it's not like I'm putting 1,000 towards it a month. Would they find out about this and kick me off or something?

3. I'd really like to try and get off of SSDI eventually and do something with my life like go to school or get a job. I know SSDI has some work things, like ticket to work or that trial work period. What is the difference? I've read their website and don't understand any of it. Any programs for going to school like help with paying for it? I'd want to go to some kind of college, not one of those places where they teach you how to use a computer or whatever.

4. I was able to get on SSDI because of doctors and I had to meet with someone and see a psych every few months. They closed my case because I missed an appointment due to a lot of miscommunication issues. Because I'm not seeing any doctors or anything for what got me on SSDI in the first place, does it look like I'm not trying and they will kick me off the checks and my medical insurance as well? The case people told me that it won't happen, but I don't trust them for some reason. They set me up already by closing my case.

Depending on the " mental disability " , they might only review your case every few years . Some types they consider are never likely to change , and therefore will NOT terminate your benefits . You still have to fill out a review form and send it back , if they send you one to fill out though .

I believe if you receive SSDI , you can own a car and house . If you receive SSI you can only have so much n assets , like $1500.00 or $20000.00 I think , before them benefits will be effected .

Will they track down your financial info . ? They can through your SS# .

If it's not in the bank , savings can't be traced can they . Oh It's very unlikely they will come to where you live to see how much assets you own .

As far as back to work , you can earn up to $810.00 per month without losing benefits . That was 2004 guidelines .

I think the ticket to work lets you keep some benefits for a period of time , even though you make over that amount , such as medical , Etc .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">