• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dhardin100

What is the name of your state? MS

Hi All,

I need some help! I'm not for sure if I did or not but I think I signed a quit claim deed on a house back a coupla yrs ago. I was in bad financial difficulty
and had to do it. Here's where it gets juicy. I ran my credit report every 4 or 5 months and the company or individual that I signed it over to had been making the payments on it but according to the mortgage company it was still mine. Well over last weekend I ran my credit report and saw that the mortgage on the property had not been paid in 4 months. Well I went and made the back payments on the property and in the meantime found out that the Company or Individual that I had signed it over too had committed suicide.
This house was empty and trashed. What rights if any do I have. According to the Mortgage Company I still own it! Please advise

Thanks

D. Hardin

BelizeBreeze

dhardin100 said:

Hi All,

I need some help! I'm not for sure if I did or not but I think I signed a quit claim deed on a house back a coupla yrs ago. I was in bad financial difficulty
and had to do it. Here's where it gets juicy. I ran my credit report every 4 or 5 months and the company or individual that I signed it over to had been making the payments on it but according to the mortgage company it was still mine. Well over last weekend I ran my credit report and saw that the mortgage on the property had not been paid in 4 months. Well I went and made the back payments on the property and in the meantime found out that the Company or Individual that I had signed it over too had committed suicide.
This house was empty and trashed. What rights if any do I have. According to the Mortgage Company I still own it! Please advise

Thanks

D. Hardin
The quit claim deed has not been registered and until it is, you still own the home. I would contact the estate of the person to whom you signed over the deed and try to redeem it (pay back the amount that was paid in your stead) or ask them what they plan on doing.

If you do nothing, you will be legally liable for the payments until the deed is filed and then you will lose all payments made AND the home.

dhardin100

Thanks Belizebreeze

Thank you very much for your reply!!! I wanna add just a little bit. This Gentleman never lived a day at this residence, it was a home buyers scam. He
just rented out to people hoping one day they could qualify for a mortgage. If I had signed a quit claim deed would it be registered with my Mortgage Company? Or only within the County which I resided? Thak you so very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

David

BelizeBreeze

dhardin100 said:
Thank you very much for your reply!!! I wanna add just a little bit. This Gentleman never lived a day at this residence, it was a home buyers scam. He
just rented out to people hoping one day they could qualify for a mortgage. If I had signed a quit claim deed would it be registered with my Mortgage Company? Or only within the County which I resided? Thak you so very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

David
It would be registered with the country Recorder's office in the county where the property is located.

S

seniorjudge

dhardin100 said:

Hi All,

Thanks

D. Hardin

If you signed, sealed, and delivered a quit claim deed in accordance with your state's laws, then you do not own it. If the guy recorded it, look in the land deed records of the county where the land is located.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">