• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance and Finances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IA

I have enlisted in the National Guard with a guarantee of Officers Candidate School. I need a Secret Clearance in order to attend this course and receive a commission. Here's my problem: my finances are a huge mess right now and have been for a while - 2+ years. I have received conflicting advice from recruiters. One says only a criminal check will be done and not to worry. Another says disclose everything and it may come up fine. Yet another says don't mention it as it's a flag and may cause a financial check to be done when only a criminal check would be done in the first place. I am working on a solution but I need good answers with respect to my situation. Any input?

pb1963

Be Completely Honest

Be 100% honest on your paperwork for your clearance. One wrong event, even a major wrong event in a persons life will not prevent them from getting a clearance. If you have had 10 years of wrongdoing, then you may have a problem. ANYONE that gives you advice to the contrary, especially if they are recruiting you, should be booted......you can tell them that.

rmet4nzkx

questionia said:
What is the name of your state? IA

I have enlisted in the National Guard with a guarantee of Officers Candidate School. I need a Secret Clearance in order to attend this course and receive a commission. Here's my problem: my finances are a huge mess right now and have been for a while - 2+ years. I have received conflicting advice from recruiters. One says only a criminal check will be done and not to worry. Another says disclose everything and it may come up fine. Yet another says don't mention it as it's a flag and may cause a financial check to be done when only a criminal check would be done in the first place. I am working on a solution but I need good answers with respect to my situation. Any input?
Be honest, it is better to explain than to be caught in a lie. You obviously caught the fake thread posted by Miss Smith, people who vet you will catch lies as well.

I was honest when I completed my paperwork. My original post was more or less to ferret out whether I'd done the right thing by being truthful and possibly opening up a can of worms that may be overlooked otherwise.

I know OPM has completed the investigation and it took only a week. I checked with my Unit's Security Officer and the investigation is closed as of April 7, 2005 but nothing forthcoming in terms of either a clearance or denial. I know not hearing anything is better than receiving a letter of intent to deny. Thanks for updating the thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">