• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walking Trail Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Happyhomeowner

What is the name of your state?OHIO

I just built and moved into my home 1 year ago. We were told about a walking trail easement that ran along the west side of my property. It gave my Homeowner's Association 7.5 feet on my side as well as 7.5 feet on my next door neighbor's property running a total 140 feet in length. I was renewing my Home insurance when the agent asked if I had any easements on my property. I told her about the utlity easements as well as the walking trail easement. She then concentrated on the walking trail easement and asked if it was our liabilty or the Association. I told her when we signed the documents it was the responsibilty of the HOA to insure, maintain, and up keep. She asked if I could verify if they insured the property and provide them with documents to prove they did. I didn't feel that anything was wrong because I had spoken to the president of the HOA the past sumer and he assured me it was insured and not ours to worry about.

I contacted the HOA president 1 month ago and he gave me the # to the insurance company and told me who to ask for and tell them what I needed. That was his first mistake (and my benefit). When talking to the agent who set up the insurance for the HOA and commen elements I told her what I needed and for what purpose. She asked for my address as well as my neighbors and said she would look everything up and contact me back. Two hours later she calls back and tells me that they did not and could not insure that portion of the easement because the HOA did not own the land, we did and therefore they had no financial interest in the property and it was not legal for them to insure it. They indicated to me that the way the easement was done by the developer to the HOA was not filed right and it was done because the township we live in would not have let the developer build on my neighbors lot had he divided the property up for the trail.

I then called the county recorders office and was told that the easement was written poorly and does not protect me as a landowner or the HOA. But when all is said and done I was liable if someone was to get hurt on that trail along with my neighbor. I went back to the HOA and told them as well as my insurance company what I had found out. My insurance went up $600.00 and the HOA president along with the vice president said you got screwed by the builder as well as the developer, and said that they would not revoke the easement as the county recorders office said I should ask them to do.

When I told them that in the HOA by laws "commen elements" shall mean any real estate owned or leased by the HOA other than a Lot, including easements in favor of the HOA. And the HOA shall obtain insurance as necessary to protect the Commen Elements, The Owners, and the HOA and the Board. This is how it is written in our by laws. They then got angey at the meeting said a few nasty things to me and said they would call the builder and the insurance company that what I was saying could not be true.

The builder called me to say that they were called by the HOA asking for informaton about the sale of our property and why they wanted it. The builder then sent me the by laws and said they (HOA) according to there own By-Laws were responsible for the up keep and insurance, not the home owner.

They now want me to dedicate the property to them along wth my neighbors. Which I can't do because I have a FHA backed loan. They also told me that they found another strip of land owned by the HOA that goes back to the pond and commen area that my walking trail leads to but they don't want to move it to that strip of land either.

My question to you is this: 1) Do I have grounds to revoke the Easement? and 2) They allowed my neighbor to put a fence that encroaches 4 feet onto the 7.5 feet on their side. The HOA allowed them to do this. Isn't this a form of revoking?

BelizeBreeze

Do I have grounds to revoke the Easement?
No, you have grounds to sue the HOA.

They allowed my neighbor to put a fence that encroaches 4 feet onto the 7.5 feet on their side. The HOA allowed them to do this. Isn't this a form of revoking?
No, but it could be seen by the court as abandonment.

So, I guess your next step is to an attorney right?

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
ain't no Ho's on this forum....lest haven't seen her for a bit :D
Then whose pictures were disgorged to the internet by bad ex-boyfriend?

nextwife

The easement was a condition imposed by the municipality as a condition, in allowing the development. Likely it is set out in the recorded "Developer's Agreement". It can't just be revoked.

Happyhomeowner

Ohio: Thanks Senior Member for your response. You told me what I already believed. When I asked "do I have grounds to revoke the easement." I meant that by going to court. My county Recorders office gave me the name of a Real Estate Lawyer this morning and gave me the maps of the development showing all easement areas as well as common ground owned by the HOA. The only question I have left is this.

Is it commen for a Homeowner to be held liable to insure and maintain this type of walking trail easement?

BelizeBreeze

Happyhomeowner said:
Ohio: Thanks Senior Member for your response. You told me what I already believed. When I asked "do I have grounds to revoke the easement." I meant that by going to court. My county Recorders office gave me the name of a Real Estate Lawyer this morning and gave me the maps of the development showing all easement areas as well as common ground owned by the HOA. The only question I have left is this.

Is it commen for a Homeowner to be held liable to insure and maintain this type of walking trail easement?
Common? No. but it is done because people don't force the HOA to abide by their own bylaws.

nextwife

One thought would be to see if the trail can be deeded to the municipality? Talk to the HOA and your RE attorney to see if you can deed it to the city/town/village, retaining passage rights across it for yourself and limiting types of use..

Along the side of my home is a bike trail that is part of the "Great Lakes Circle Tour", a route that can actually take one around the Great Lakes. I do not own or maintain it. It is owned by the Village.

Greg 2

Maybe this is not the answwer you are looking for, but would the HOA pay the increase in your insurance costs?---probably will increase your dues however.

Happyhomeowner

Thanks for all your help BelizBreeze I went to a real estate Atty. yesterday along with my neighbor (also affected by this). He told me after looking at all of our documents as well as reading the by-laws set forth by the HOA they are in violation of the by-laws and must carry insurance. He advised us of what it would cost to take this to court and said that he would be happy to do everything for us but felt once we told our HOA that we consulted an atty. they would do one of two things. He said for us to present them with the same documents again highlighted this time, and ask them once again to insure the walking trail or revoke (by the way they do have the power to revoke) the easement. The vice president got nasty and said neither option was going to happen and said that I was never to speak to anyone on the board ever again. Then he and another board member quit as of last night. And the president called to say that he would have to look for a lawyer today (that's right our board as no legal representation) but felt we were not demanding anything a nomal homeowner would do to protect their land. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I think by the end of the week and many calls to new insurance companies they will find suitable insurance and we can put this to rest. Once again thanks for all your help.

BelizeBreeze

Happyhomeowner said:
Thanks for all your help BelizBreeze I went to a real estate Atty. yesterday along with my neighbor (also affected by this). He told me after looking at all of our documents as well as reading the by-laws set forth by the HOA they are in violation of the by-laws and must carry insurance. He advised us of what it would cost to take this to court and said that he would be happy to do everything for us but felt once we told our HOA that we consulted an atty. they would do one of two things. He said for us to present them with the same documents again highlighted this time, and ask them once again to insure the walking trail or revoke (by the way they do have the power to revoke) the easement. The vice president got nasty and said neither option was going to happen and said that I was never to speak to anyone on the board ever again. Then he and another board member quit as of last night. And the president called to say that he would have to look for a lawyer today (that's right our board as no legal representation) but felt we were not demanding anything a nomal homeowner would do to protect their land. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I think by the end of the week and many calls to new insurance companies they will find suitable insurance and we can put this to rest. Once again thanks for all your help.
ROCK ON!!!!!! I love it when people caught with their head between their legs run and hide.

Don't take no for an answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">