• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Fire... Insurance company now suing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharon99

What is the name of your state? New York.
I'm not sure if this belongs under this category or not, buy anyhow.

-I was on the lease to an apartment with one other person. And we had his mother co-sign for us as well. I moved out of the apartment (And I have police reports, long story, to confirm that I had moved out.) He started a fire, fell asleep while cooking, and caused some major damage. The fire department also asked who lived there again it was mentioned that I did not live there.
I could not get out of the lease before the fire, and I knew there was no way to get out of the lease after the fire.
Now the apartments insurance company is trying to get $21,000 from me.
Is there anyway that I can fight this and not have to pay any of this?
And could I also sue the guy that started the fire for the legal fees that I will probably incur trying to fight this?

Thanks
Sharon :mad:

HomeGuru

sharon99 said:
What is the name of your state? New York.
I'm not sure if this belongs under this category or not, buy anyhow.

-I was on the lease to an apartment with one other person. And we had his mother co-sign for us as well. I moved out of the apartment (And I have police reports, long story, to confirm that I had moved out.) He started a fire, fell asleep while cooking, and caused some major damage. The fire department also asked who lived there again it was mentioned that I did not live there.
I could not get out of the lease before the fire, and I knew there was no way to get out of the lease after the fire.
Now the apartments insurance company is trying to get $21,000 from me.
Is there anyway that I can fight this and not have to pay any of this?
And could I also sue the guy that started the fire for the legal fees that I will probably incur trying to fight this?

Thanks
Sharon :mad:
**A: your moving out does not release you from tenant liability as set forth in the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">