• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations for making plea?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brontus

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was arrested Jan 23, 2004 on 2nd & 4th degree child endangerment charges. 6 days after my arrest, I was brought to "video court" with a group of ~20 others where are charges were read and we were asked if we understood them. We were not allowed to plea at this time. The following day, the group of us were brought to a visiting area where we could apply for a public defender. The next day a bail bondsman was paid to post my bail by my family. It has now been 14+ months since making bail. This is the first time I've been charged with anything.

What I want to know is how long can the prosecuter wait after an arrest before I can plea guilty or not guilty and whatnot.

According to the show Law & Order (which I realize may not be correct) in NY they have to arraign within 48 hours of arrest, and according to an Illinois Judiciary website I read, in that state it has to be done within 20 days. The only thing I could find for NJ is that cases should within 1 year.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">