• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking at my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaq_1967

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a son who just turned 18. He still has some 17 & 16 year old friends. They want to have a party at the house. They have asked me if it were OK if they drink. If I were to let them, with the concent of their parents, and the cops were called for disturbing the peace, AM I LIABLE/CAN I GO TO JAIL FOR CONTRIBUTING TO A MINOR EVEN THOUGH I DID NOT BUY ANYTHING OR PROVIDE THE ALCOHOL? :confused:

HomeGuru

jaq_1967 said:

I have a son who just turned 18. He still has some 17 & 16 year old friends. They want to have a party at the house. They have asked me if it were OK if they drink. If I were to let them, with the concent of their parents, and the cops were called for disturbing the peace, AM I LIABLE/CAN I GO TO JAIL FOR CONTRIBUTING TO A MINOR EVEN THOUGH I DID NOT BUY ANYTHING OR PROVIDE THE ALCOHOL? :confused:

**A: your kidding right? Do you have any sense common or uncommon?
Your post qualifies for post of the week.

brontus

Knowing that a crime has happened or will happen and not reporting makes you an accomplice. Since underage drinking is a crime, if you know that there is going to be underage drinking you are required to report or prevent it, especially if it is going to be in your own home.

Happy Trails

jaq_1967 said:

Yes, you would be liable. Yes, you could go to jail.

Doesn't matter if you didn't provide the alcohol; you would be allowing illegal activity to take place in your home. You are the adult. You can't be letting kids do what ever they please in your home, even if they had consent from their parents.

A

absconder

Some states 18 year olds used to be able to drink 3.2 berr legally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">