• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I/we get custody of our Grandson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skyler999

What is the name of your state? Alabama
Here it is in a nutshell, My Grandson has lived with my wife and me since he was born, 5 years and 8 months. He is covered by my health insurance plan where I work. His Mother is my daughter and he has never seen or been seen by his father. His father lives in another state.(He moved when my daughter would not get an abortion.) I think that my daughter gets a support check from him but I am not sure. We have never received any money from either of his parents. My daughter comes by to visit him once in a while but usually for only an hour or two.
We have put him in Kindergarten and provide his total support. My daughter has expressed no interest, financially or emotionally, to assume the responsibility of being a parent on a full or even a part time basis.
There are other factors but these are the main points.
We would like to have full custody. My daughter would be welcome to him in the future if and when she proved that she could provide a stable and safe environment for him. She has had some past drug problems. We don't think that is going on now, however, she doesn't came arond very often and we really don't know.
We love him very much and only want whats best for him..
What steps should we take?

BelizeBreeze

Skyler999 said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama
Here it is in a nutshell, My Grandson has lived with my wife and me since he was born, 5 years and 8 months. He is covered by my health insurance plan where I work. His Mother is my daughter and he has never seen or been seen by his father. His father lives in another state.(He moved when my daughter would not get an abortion.) I think that my daughter gets a support check from him but I am not sure. We have never received any money from either of his parents. My daughter comes by to visit him once in a while but usually for only an hour or two.
We have put him in Kindergarten and provide his total support. My daughter has expressed no interest, financially or emotionally, to assume the responsibility of being a parent on a full or even a part time basis.
There are other factors but these are the main points.
We would like to have full custody. My daughter would be welcome to him in the future if and when she proved that she could provide a stable and safe environment for him. She has had some past drug problems. We don't think that is going on now, however, she doesn't came arond very often and we really don't know.
We love him very much and only want whats best for him..
What steps should we take?
And going to court and filing for full legal and residental custody never occurred to you?

Skyler999

That's what I mean

:eek: Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I have no idea where to start.

This ARE my questions.

Which court?

Who should I contact?

Do I need an Attorney?

How much does it cost?

How long does it take?

LdiJ

Skyler999 said:
:eek: Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I have no idea where to start.

This ARE my questions.

Which court?
The court in your state that handles family law matters.

Who should I contact?
An attorney in your area

Do I need an Attorney? {/QUOTE]

Yes...you really do.

How much does it cost?
It despends entirely on the "prevailing rates" in your area and the complexity of your case.

How long does it take?
It depends entirely on the complexity of your case and the court backlog in your area.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">