• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax form 1040 or 1041?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

georgemohr

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?

Maryland

Jane Smith is the Trustee for her own revocable trust. Does she file a form 1040 or 1041 for Federal Taxes?

Snipes5

The trust files form 1041, which issues Jane a K-1.

Jane takes the K-1 and files it on her personal form 1040.

Snipes

tdavidl

it sounds like jane is also the "grantor" (she contributed her own assets to create the trust).

if this is truly a fully revocable trust, it was created after 1980, the assets are located in the us and jane has full power to remove the assets from the trust, then this is considered a grantor trust for reporting purposes and the income is reported on jane's 1040 as if a trust did not exist.

otherwise as snipes said, a 1041 is required.

georgemohr

Tax Form 1040 or 1041?

undefined

tdavidl and Snipes,

Thanks for your replies.

The information I have came from Jane's Stock Brokerage 1099 title block:

"Jane Smith TTEE
U/A DTD 01/14/2000
RESTATED U/A DTD 1/14/2000
BY Jane Smith"

She told me it was a revocable trust. There is no K-1 been issued. She has full power to buy and sell within the account and to take cash out. So it looks like the 1040 is correct to me, per tdavidl.

Doesn't seem like the "trust" has any effect. What's its purpose?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">