• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is vacation rental home considered a commercial activity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlwatson

What is the name of your state?Virginia

My husband & I just finished building a vacation home in the mountains of Virginia. The subdivision (9 properties) had a few restrictions...one was "no commercial activity". We talked to the original developer and he stated that his intentions for including that restriction was so no one could have a "business" on their property.
My husband & I needed help paying for the mortgage, so we decided to offer our home as a vacation rental. We intend to use the property at least 25% of the year. We are not renting for "extra income", but to help pay for the home.
Is a vacation rental home considered a commercial activity???

jlwatson

HomeGuru

jlwatson said:
What is the name of your state?Virginia

My husband & I just finished building a vacation home in the mountains of Virginia. The subdivision (9 properties) had a few restrictions...one was "no commercial activity". We talked to the original developer and he stated that his intentions for including that restriction was so no one could have a "business" on their property.
My husband & I needed help paying for the mortgage, so we decided to offer our home as a vacation rental. We intend to use the property at least 25% of the year. We are not renting for "extra income", but to help pay for the home.
Is a vacation rental home considered a commercial activity???

jlwatson

**A: Please post the applicable sections of the CC&R's.

jlwatson

Here is what the Restrictions state:
"No commercial uses or activities shall be allowed on any tract in Forks of Buffalo."
The subdivision is named Forks of Buffalo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">