• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bench warrant for fail to ans. summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thegoodson

Humboldt County, Ca.
Hi, I hope this is the right forum for my question. I just found out that I have a bench warrant for not answering a summons to appear in court for a civil case brought forth against me involving my mother's estate, of which I am the Trustee. The clerk at the Sheriffs office told me that I won't be arrested when I come in , that I'll only be given a court date to appear for the civil case. Is this right ? I thought that any time you get served with a warrant, you get arrested. 2 more questions, Will I be fined or anything for the bench warrant ? And, Will this warrant go on my record ? Thank You

A

absconder

Only the Judge issuing the warrant can answer your questions. If hes the judge you FTAd on get ready for some splainin. I would keep the days following your appearance b4 the judge open in your day planner.

thegoodson

Humboldt county,Ca. The Sheriffs office clerk that I spoke to said I only had to go to the civil division window at the Sheriffs office. But she did say that a Deputy had to be there when I come to serve me with the warrant, she didn't say anything about going before a Judge. ?? I guess I'm still wondering whats going on. thanks ;) :rolleyes:

CdwJava

thegoodson said:
The clerk at the Sheriffs office told me that I won't be arrested when I come in , that I'll only be given a court date to appear for the civil case. Is this right ?
Sounds right.

I thought that any time you get served with a warrant, you get arrested.
Not necessarily. The goal is to get you to appear, not to lock you up in the slammer. If the judge thinks that you are going to FTA again, he might lock you up until the hearing, though. So be prepared to explain why you FTA'd the first time, and why you will show the next time.

Will I be fined or anything for the bench warrant ? And, Will this warrant go on my record ? Thank You
Yes, you COULD be fined - but you probably won't be. And there will be a record of the warrant and the arrest if they serve it as an arrest. But, unless they book you (photos and prints) it shouldn't be found on any state criminal history - only local.

- Carl

thegoodson

Thanks Carl

Ca. Thanks Carl, I think I'll call the Sheriffs office again. I'm curious to know if I have to go thru a booking procedure or not. This county is so strapped financialy that they can't even afford enough deputies, and the Sheriff's office in Eureka is only open M-F from 9-12 and 1-4 !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">