• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

subway violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilstar8

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NY

Ok, I have several questions as I have never received a summons before and I am very nervous about what to do etc.

The summons I received was for not paying the fare on the subway. First off, I seem to have lost it, so what do I do about that?

How serious is this anyway, and what is the worst that can happen if I do not respond to it?

Also, would I HAVE to appear in court, or can I just agree to pay the fine and deal with it via mail?

If I do that, am I then pleaing guilty to a crime, and will it stay on my record? If so, how serious of an offense is that?

If I do appear in court, what are my chances of it being dismissed ie: what could I do to get out of it!

Thanks so much!

S

seniorjudge

lilstar8 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NY

Ok, I have several questions as I have never received a summons before and I am very nervous about what to do etc.

The summons I received was for not paying the fare on the subway. First off, I seem to have lost it, so what do I do about that?

How serious is this anyway, and what is the worst that can happen if I do not respond to it?

Also, would I HAVE to appear in court, or can I just agree to pay the fine and deal with it via mail?

If I do that, am I then pleaing guilty to a crime, and will it stay on my record? If so, how serious of an offense is that?

If I do appear in court, what are my chances of it being dismissed ie: what could I do to get out of it!

Thanks so much!

Call the court clerk and ask all your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">