• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taylorjm

What is the name of your state? Michigan

We live in a city where if you work in the city limits, you get local taxes taken out of your payroll. What I recently found out is that if you live in the city limits and work elsewhere, that you still have to pay the city tax out of your payroll, just a different percentage. The way I found this out was the city sent me a bill for the past 8 years of taxes due!! They said I owe them for the past 8 years that I lived in the city, and worked elsewhere, and want me to pay them just over $8,000. This is the first notice I've received, or the first I've heard that I had to pay city taxes being that I didn't work in the city. They even tacked on interest and penalties, and are saying the taxes are past due even though this is the first notice. Do I have any recourse? Is there any kind of time limit that they should have notified me before this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">