• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor wanting compensation (LONG)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HillChick

What is the name of your state? WV

Background (long, and I apologize)

My parents purchased their 32 acre farm 18 years ago from my grandmother, who had purchased it from another family in 1985, who had purchased it from my dad’s sister in 1975, who had purchased it from the original family in 1971. WHEW! This property goes back to the original settlers of the community and was divided amongst the children as their own tracts of land when they married. The deeds have just been passed from buyer to buyer. I think the last survey was done in 1971…beyond that, there have been no changes to the boundaries, or so we thought.

During this time, a fence was put along the property boundary line, along a one lane paved road, all owners have farmed, ran cattle, ran sheep, built a pond, built outbuildings on this property.

Fast forward to last year. My parents have paid off the property and are researching the deed. They find that there is a 4 acre narrow slice straight up the middle of their property that encompasses one pond and one outbuilding that apparently belongs to the farm owner across the road according to the tax map.

Also, they find that they own 4 acres on the neighbor’s property on the other side of the road. Nice clear cut bottom pasture land with a creek.

It’s always been that the road divided the properties…what was on your side was yours , what was on my side is mine. You knew where your neighbors fence was, you knew where your stuff was. It’s a small rural community…

This neighbor has admitted to knowing for 10 years about this error on the tax map, but he has built a fence, a bridge, leased the land for cattle and hay, etc. Mom contacted one of the guys he leased the property to, and he stated that he was told to ignore the tax map and build the fence anyway when he brought up the discrepancy 10 years ago.

Mom and dad want to simply deed the four acres in the bottom over to him and him deed the four acres on their side back to them. Make all this trouble go away easily. Get the tax map correct...

He has dragged his feet for six months now in researching his side of the property problem. Mom called last night to see what he wanted to do. He is wanting to trade deeds, but is wanting extra compensation from my parents to buy that swatch of land back from him! I don’t think he has looked at the swatch of property. It is straight up mountain, with a small shallow pond and rocks. No grazing land at all….I think he thinks it is much more valuable. It isn’t, its just the fact that it cuts the property in half.

What rights do my parents have, as they have worked this property, the deeds claim it as theirs, the deeds do not speak of the bottom land for my parents or the pond area for the neighbro, but the tax map shows differently, and have not known that this property was the neighbors all along? Do they have to give him access rights, as they own BOTH sides of the road cutting through the property?

S

seniorjudge

HillChick said:
What is the name of your state? WV

Background (long, and I apologize)

My parents purchased their 32 acre farm 18 years ago from my grandmother, who had purchased it from another family in 1985, who had purchased it from my dad’s sister in 1975, who had purchased it from the original family in 1971. WHEW! This property goes back to the original settlers of the community and was divided amongst the children as their own tracts of land when they married. The deeds have just been passed from buyer to buyer. I think the last survey was done in 1971…beyond that, there have been no changes to the boundaries, or so we thought.

During this time, a fence was put along the property boundary line, along a one lane paved road, all owners have farmed, ran cattle, ran sheep, built a pond, built outbuildings on this property.

Fast forward to last year. My parents have paid off the property and are researching the deed. They find that there is a 4 acre narrow slice straight up the middle of their property that encompasses one pond and one outbuilding that apparently belongs to the farm owner across the road according to the tax map.

Also, they find that they own 4 acres on the neighbor’s property on the other side of the road. Nice clear cut bottom pasture land with a creek.

It’s always been that the road divided the properties…what was on your side was yours , what was on my side is mine. You knew where your neighbors fence was, you knew where your stuff was. It’s a small rural community…

This neighbor has admitted to knowing for 10 years about this error on the tax map, but he has built a fence, a bridge, leased the land for cattle and hay, etc. Mom contacted one of the guys he leased the property to, and he stated that he was told to ignore the tax map and build the fence anyway when he brought up the discrepancy 10 years ago.

Mom and dad want to simply deed the four acres in the bottom over to him and him deed the four acres on their side back to them. Make all this trouble go away easily. Get the tax map correct...

He has dragged his feet for six months now in researching his side of the property problem. Mom called last night to see what he wanted to do. He is wanting to trade deeds, but is wanting extra compensation from my parents to buy that swatch of land back from him! I don’t think he has looked at the swatch of property. It is straight up mountain, with a small shallow pond and rocks. No grazing land at all….I think he thinks it is much more valuable. It isn’t, its just the fact that it cuts the property in half.

What rights do my parents have, as they have worked this property, the deeds claim it as theirs, the deeds do not speak of the bottom land for my parents or the pond area for the neighbro, but the tax map shows differently, and have not known that this property was the neighbors all along? Do they have to give him access rights, as they own BOTH sides of the road cutting through the property?

There are two ways to settle this: y'all agree on everything or you go to court and have a judge settle it.

HillChick

UPDATE

The neighbor came over last night and offered to trade the property, IF my parents paid him $4000 extra for it. Uhhhh....

He said he could sell it for $12000 easy, and his cousin wants to build a house out there...if he has known for 10 years about this, why hasn't he sold it before now and kept my parents from working and clearing the property.

Mom told him fine, he will have to cut his own road up from the main road, fence it off, and take care of it. They are done cutting brush, taking care of the pond and keeping up with the property. It doesn't exist to them anymore. I still can't figure out where they will build a house...It's a narrow ledge, and mountain is steep, and the pond takes up most of the narrow strip that they own. I think he is bluffing...that's fine.

He wants mom and dad to abstain from doing anything with the bottom property until after hay cutting season. Mom promptly reminded him that he has leased that property for $5000 a year for hay and cattle (mom and dad only one 5 acres of the 120 he leases, but still...)...he got in his truck and left.

Looks like my parents are the proud owners of 5 acres of beautiful clear cut bottom pasture with a nice creek and he now owns a filling in pond, steep rock pile, and multi floral rose...

I think they will go round two.

S

seniorjudge

HillChick said:
UPDATE

The neighbor came over last night and offered to trade the property, IF my parents paid him $4000 extra for it. Uhhhh....

He said he could sell it for $12000 easy, and his cousin wants to build a house out there...if he has known for 10 years about this, why hasn't he sold it before now and kept my parents from working and clearing the property.

Mom told him fine, he will have to cut his own road up from the main road, fence it off, and take care of it. They are done cutting brush, taking care of the pond and keeping up with the property. It doesn't exist to them anymore. I still can't figure out where they will build a house...It's a narrow ledge, and mountain is steep, and the pond takes up most of the narrow strip that they own. I think he is bluffing...that's fine.

He wants mom and dad to abstain from doing anything with the bottom property until after hay cutting season. Mom promptly reminded him that he has leased that property for $5000 a year for hay and cattle (mom and dad only one 5 acres of the 120 he leases, but still...)...he got in his truck and left.

Looks like my parents are the proud owners of 5 acres of beautiful clear cut bottom pasture with a nice creek and he now owns a filling in pond, steep rock pile, and multi floral rose...

I think they will go round two.

This is getting fascinating...keep up the updates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">