• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to wait for a court hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justifythis

What is the name of your state?Pa/ca

My dh filed for child support from his ex who lives in la county, ca almost one year ago and has not heard a thing yet! Our local domestic relations says since it is in la county it will take up to 6 months. He keeps checking on it and domestic relations keeps sending an inquiry to the La county courts but nothing. How long does he have to wait? Is there a statue of limitations on how long he should have to wait? I keep nudging him to get his lawyer involved but he doesn't want to pay a lawyer if he doesn't have to.

Also his child will be graduating from high school...so will my husband still be allowed to collect money from her from the time he filed a year ago even though he will be graduating and of age? It's not his fault the court system took so long.

Phnx02

Justifythis said:
What is the name of your state?Pa/ca

My dh filed for child support from his ex who lives in la county, ca almost one year ago and has not heard a thing yet! Our local domestic relations says since it is in la county it will take up to 6 months. He keeps checking on it and domestic relations keeps sending an inquiry to the La county courts but nothing. How long does he have to wait? Is there a statue of limitations on how long he should have to wait? I keep nudging him to get his lawyer involved but he doesn't want to pay a lawyer if he doesn't have to.

Also his child will be graduating from high school...so will my husband still be allowed to collect money from her from the time he filed a year ago even though he will be graduating and of age? It's not his fault the court system took so long.
Going thru the state takes ALOT of time. They have hundreds of thousands of cases just like yours and they are overworked and underpaid. Usually, it's "first come, first served" and your number may be at the bottom of the list. Can't tell you how long it will take, but in my case in another state, it took 10 months for a hearing. You're right......it's not your fault it's taking so long. You should be granted CS from the date you filed. I've never heard of a case where the child reached age of emancipation since filing, they say "oh well"......you're out of luck". Hang in there!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">