• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice about insurance and med. expense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandwalk

What is the name of your state?iowa

Just wanted to know if this is a guideline that is used in the state of Iowa for all cases or can be used? My ex-wife is taking me to court on monday for child support modification and thought that I could bring this up if the guidelines can be used. This is what it said:

In a child support guidelines website for Iowa it says:

Medical support order. In addition, the court shall enter an order for medical support as required by statute.(my husband pays for all insurance and 50% of all medical expenses that are not covered by insurance).
Uncovered medical expenses" means all medical expenses for the child not paid by insurance. The custodial parent shall pay for the first $250 per year per child of uncovered medical expenses up to a maximum of $500 per year for all children. (they have one together). Uncovered medical espenses in excess of $250 per child or a maximum of $500 per year for all children shall be paid by the parents in proportion to their respective net incomes.
So does that mean that the ex should be paying for the first $250 up to $500 of unpaid medical bills by insurance? Is that an Iowa law or what does this mean?
Just thought that I would ask because she nickel and dimes me to death and I always pay 50% of everything that is not covered by my insurance and then some! Thanks.

haiku

first off its alot easier if you just type your question as who you are. (at one point you have an ex-wife, but you also have a husband now?.....)

yes, you are correct but for one thing....

the ex wife is responsible for the first 250 of uninsured medical, PER CHILD, per year.

the amount is capped at 500 for MULTIPLE children.

so with one child on your order, the CP is responsible for the first 250 a year, uninsured for that child, before she can billl you whatever percentage ordered.

Sandwalk

Sorry....I am using my wifes account because I can not for some reason get registered! It just won't let me do it!
Thank you for your answer...that is what I thought but it never hurts to ask just to be sure!
Thanks again!

VeronicaGia

Sandwalk said:
Sorry....I am using my wifes account because I can not for some reason get registered! It just won't let me do it!
Thank you for your answer...that is what I thought but it never hurts to ask just to be sure!
Thanks again!
It won't let you register because you're using a computer that is already registered with this website and it prevent people from getting multiple names and posting like crazy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">