• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother was killed...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erinmariep

What is the name of your state?ohio
my mother was killed at her worksite on may 19, 1999. my father killed her at republic storage...there were security guards on duty and they did nothing to stop him..there were atleast 6 witnesses. is it too late to file a claim or is there anything i can do now to receive compensation. i was only 19 at the time and i was living in texas. i have 3 younger siblings...all were under the age of 18 at the time of her death.

rmet4nzkx

erinmariep said:
my mother was killed at her worksite on may 19, 1999. my father killed her at republic storage...there were security guards on duty and they did nothing to stop him..there were atleast 6 witnesses. is it too late to file a claim or is there anything i can do now to receive compensation. i was only 19 at the time and i was living in texas. i have 3 younger siblings...all were under the age of 18 at the time of her death.
Was he charged with murder? Is he in prison? Did your minor siblings have a Guardian ad Litem? How old are they now? Was any suit filed against her place of employment?

You Are Guilty

erinmariep said:
Does your Dad have any money, because he's the only person liable (and that's ignoring the fact that it's way past the deadline to file any suit).

JETX

erinmariep said:
is there anything i can do now to receive compensation.
That will depend on several factors.... one of the main ones being a review of ALL the facts.... including whether the storage facility was negligent. And that will largely consist of reviewing their provided security and prior criminal activity at their location.

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
That will depend on several factors.... one of the main ones being a review of ALL the facts.... including whether the storage facility was negligent. And that will largely consist of reviewing their provided security and prior criminal activity at their location.
6 years for negligence?

erinmariep

my father was charged and is in prison for life. my siblings are now 21, 23 and 24. i am not sure about the technical term guardian ad litem. they all had friends whose parents became their legal guardians. i just realized one sibling was 18 at the time and she moved to texas not long after my mothers death to live with me.
anyway,there was no suit filed..we basically did nothing about it. people told me to sue but i was so depressed at the time i just didn't want to think about it.i do remember at the funeral republic storage/steel gave us an envelope with $800 in it.
as far as my father having money...no..we were very poor. and yes he is liable but it was a knife he used, not a gun. i feel security should or could have prevented it.
i dont know if republic would be completely at fault. it was on their parking lot. she worked there. employees witnessed everything.
on top of all that, my father raped my mother the night before the murder. she called the police after he left. instead of the police going to pick him up and arrest him, they called the place he was staying and informed the people there what happened. so they told my dad and he left to do the crime.
it was just such a mess. if people would do their jobs correctly this may have never happened. she had a restraining order and the cops had been to the house too many times over domestic abuse.
i don't know too much after that but if its worth it, i will find out everything i can..its just a painful issue..i don't want to go digging up bad memories for nothing. so basically can i do anything about this?

rmet4nzkx

Consult with a personal injury attorney in Ohio, where the murder occured, there is a chance that because there were so many guardians and the psychological shock that you might be able to toll the SOL due to date of discovery, being informed you should sue while in shock may leave a door open. The money you were given was possibly a collection and not a admission of responsibility or and agreement not to sue. Then you have the conduct of the police not following up on the DV report. Even consulting with several attorneys may help you get a different perspective. If you do sue, it will open up a lot of wounds and be very stressful. At least your father is where he needs to be. I'm sorry for your losses.

erinmariep

thanks rmet for the info. i honestly want to look into all of this to help my brother and sisters. i, fortunately, am doing very well. they are all really struggling. and i think it has to do with them living with her at the time. i was so far away. the youngest really has had it so hard. i would love to be able to help them out. and as for the security guard(what he should have done)....what ever he was trained to do...i mean what the hell is the point of "security"....

You Are Guilty

I'm no math major, but I think even the sibling's time has run out. (And I highly doubt you'll get anywhere with a "shock" tolling of the SOL).

As far as liability goes, the security guards have -0-, even if you could still sue them. (I'll spare you the legal reasoning why as it's a rather boring discussion).

At best, your claim was against the property owner/manager, and even then, that $800 they gave might come back to haunt you.

erinmariep

You Are Guilty said:
I'm no math major, but I think even the sibling's time has run out. (And I highly doubt you'll get anywhere with a "shock" tolling of the SOL).

As far as liability goes, the security guards have -0-, even if you could still sue them. (I'll spare you the legal reasoning why as it's a rather boring discussion).

At best, your claim was against the property owner/manager, and even then, that $800 they gave might come back to haunt you.
you are probably right about the time limit but i feel its worth checking into.
as far as the legal reasoning, i don't mind boring. please explain it to me in a nutshell.
and as for the $800 ...alot of people gave us money, because we lost both our parents basically, so we were on our own. i thought it was a nice gesture by republic...and i am sure they were worried because everyone was telling us to sue. we were getting paper in the mail from lawyers as well. but i just couldn't do it then..i was torn up ya know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">