• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rvela

What is the name of your state?Texas.

My sons father has had dental insurance for our son until recently. (about the last year or so, child is 15) I inquired about which dentist to take him to when son complained of a tooth ache. His father claims he does not have dental coverage. The court order does not state he is required to carry dental on him, only medical. I was unaware of his non-coverage. I would have added him to mine if I had known.
However, the most important thing right now is getting the boy covered so he can see the dentist. Ex is refusing to cooperate. Attorney General says they can't do anything either. My insurance company will not add him until next enrollment period. (next year)
can any one offer advice on what to do? Besides the obvious ~ pay the full amount and hope that his father will pay his half before all my utilities are past due?

LdiJ

Rvela said:

My sons father has had dental insurance for our son until recently. (about the last year or so, child is 15) I inquired about which dentist to take him to when son complained of a tooth ache. His father claims he does not have dental coverage. The court order does not state he is required to carry dental on him, only medical. I was unaware of his non-coverage. I would have added him to mine if I had known.
However, the most important thing right now is getting the boy covered so he can see the dentist. Ex is refusing to cooperate. Attorney General says they can't do anything either. My insurance company will not add him until next enrollment period. (next year)
can any one offer advice on what to do? Besides the obvious ~ pay the full amount and hope that his father will pay his half before all my utilities are past due?
You might be able to get the dentist to bill dad for his half...its worth a shot.

VeronicaGia

Rvela said:

Your employer/dental insurance provider does not consider this a Qualifying Life Event? Ask them. Since your son lost coverage from the other parent, this may be considered a Qualifying Life Event.

Rvela

VeronicaGia,
I have already spoken to my companie's HR. No,they will not add him unless he lost coverage in the last 30 days.
I would have to have proof, since coverage has been gone for some time, this would be impossible.

To LoyalGirl,
thats easier said than done, in order for me to make the payment, I am going to have to set aside a few bills. And
"HOPE" he find it in his heart to pay his half before I start receiving nasty phone calls and pink letters from the utility companies.

See.....some people (notice I didn't say fathers) don't understand the meaning of sacrifice of the things you want, to take care of your children. Children come before DVD collections and jet skis. This is something that has always been an issue with my ex. He drinks his money away, and when I ask for help he complains that he can't even put gas in his truck to go to work. Then I have to hear about his awesome DVD collections and new swimming pools and new trucks and the jet ski from my son after visitation. Mean while we are eating peanut butter and jelly and pancakes for dinner just to make ends meet and take his son to the dentist.

Rvela

There was a reply posted that has since disappeared,
I would like to respond,

He is legally required to pay half of all uninsured medical and dental bills. The divorce decree states this. And, yes,
"HOPE" is the key word since it would cost a lawyer and court fees to get him to pay up , and he knows this.

Lesson learned? Ok...If you mean that I should be taking things into my own hands, knowing that this man.... his own father, will not take responsibility for his son. How ever,
He HAD coverage, for a long time. And Failed to inform me he was going to stop it. Had I known, in time I would have added him to my insurance. How ever it is too late according to my HR dept. I would have had to do it in 30 days of lost coverage.
He cancelled the insurance b/c he didn't want to pay for it. and he doesnt have to have coverage according the decree.
Now, he is not paying any thing and will probably get away with it.

LdiJ

legalcuriosity said:
What he does with his money is NONE of your business. You're getting your money, so mind your own business! Your ex had the child covered when he wasn't required to. And he isn't required to pay any bills for you now, even though the VOLUNTARY coverage was terminated.

Granted he should've given you and the child the courtesy of alerting you that coverage had ended so you can put the child on yours.

May I suggest is that you explain to your ex that you were unable to add him because HE did not alert you that he was dropping coverage. If he would've told you he was dropping coverage, you could've added the child onto yours, but you can't per their policy. Suggest to him that the least he can do is pay for half of the bill since he didn't notify you he was terminating coverage. Do it in writing and write it in a professional manner, WITHOUT the emotion and the attitude. A letter filled with that will find it's way into the garbage real quick.
Slightly incorrect....she is NOT getting the reimbursements for uninsured medical and dental from dad....that is her whole problem. Despite the fact that he was not ordered to provide dental insurance he is still responsible for his share of the uninsured medical and dental expenses......therefore it was also to HIS advantage that he was providing dental coverage.....and therefore there is some relevance as to what he is doing with his money.

LdiJ

legalcuriosity said:
Unless I am misunderstanding this, if there was no order for him to provide dental (he did voluntarily), how is he still responsible for the dental??

I certainly hope she manages to ask him politely since he didn't notify her of the terminated coverage. That's the least he could've done.
There was no order for him to provide dental INSURANCE. That doesn't mean that he isn't still responsible for his share of dental EXPENSES.

brisgirl825

Dental expenses are necessary, I don't think that she should be kissing his ass simply b/c he, at one time, held insurance. He obviously doesn't care about his child's oral health by taking him off of insurance. So let's give him props for keeping insurance for awhile, not telling mom that the child was taken off, and then refusing to aid on bills. :rolleyes:
Take him to court. Plain and simple, dental insurance is just as important as medical and it's something that needs to be delt with in a new court order. I know it might seem expensive to do that but it'll save you from all the other bills he refuses to pay in the future as well.

Sarah

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">