• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assualt...Can bar be held liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TC1980

What is the name of your state? WA

I was at a bar and as I was leaving I heard a guyh threaten to shoot my friend. I went up to the guy and I told him I would get my friend out of here and there would be any trouble. ALL THE BOUNCERS then came outside side to see what the yelling was about. As they approached the guy and I, I was struck and blind sided by him and his friend. The bouncers then grabbed them as I left. I went across the street to my car. I waited for my buddies when 6 cars full of dudes got out and jumped us. Atleast 4 on 1 ratio. It took the cops 30 minutes to respond. I did some inquiring and I found out the bar never called the police when the first assualt occured on thier property. I was wondering if they could be held liable for any of my damages?

TC1980

No

Some Random Guy said:
Did you call the police after the first assault? If not, why should the bar be any more liable than you for your damages?
No because no phone was available. Not everyone has a cell phone. I would figure since the assault was on thier property, witnessed by thier bouncers and because I sustained injuries in thier establihment....

racer72

You Are Guilty said:
I would love to hear the "other" side's version of this story. :rolleyes:
My guess that is why the OP is looking for someone else to blame besides the alledged attackers.

msiron

Not having any legal background, I will tell you 3 incidence that have happened over the last 25 years at my father's bar.

1. An off duty 45 year old police officer... drinking and playing cards in my fathers bar got into a fight with a 70 year old man who was also drinking, they ended up in the parking lot. 45 year old beat the crap out of 70 year old. 70 year old ended up in a nursing home and after 4 months died of pneumonia. Law suit against my father 2 years later because it happened on his property and they argued he never would have been in a nursing home, contracted pneumonia, if he wasn't beaten up... Ins. Co settled out of court for $50k.

2. My brother beat up a man in my father's bar parking lot. Lawsuit and the Ins. Co settled out of court for.. I recall $10k.

3. A female had been drinking at multiple area barrooms, one included my father's bar. 4 hours after she had been at my father's bar she had a head on with a telephone pole and her medical bills were $300k. Lawsuit a few years later, against my father and his business and also another barroom for a total of 2 million. Settlement negotiations were insane, went to trial and both businesses' found 'not liable' if that is the correct term.

JETX

TC1980 said:
I went up to the guy and I told him I would get my friend out of here and there would be any trouble.
First mistake. Why did you even go 'up to the guy' at all?? You simply should have removed your friend. There is likely more to this... and depending on the full version, YOU could be viewed as the aggresser.

ALL THE BOUNCERS then came outside side to see what the yelling was about.
Huge 'chunk' of information missing here. If you were getting your friend out to prevent problems, how did 'it' get outside... and yelling sufficient to bring "ALL THE BOUNCERS" out?? Clearly, more to this.

As they approached the guy and I, I was struck and blind sided by him and his friend.
And ANOTHER huge jump in the story. If "ALL THE BOUNCERS" were there, who hit who and why??

The bouncers then grabbed them as I left.
And yet another. If this confrontation was as you describe, why did you leave?? Did anyone (bouncer!!) tell you to leave. How EXACTLY (running?) did you leave??

I went across the street to my car. I waited for my buddies
And yet another mistake... and missing information. Why weren't your buddies with you when YOU left?? Where EXACTLY were your buddies and what were THEY doing?? What EXACTLY were the circumstances of your leaving??

when 6 cars full of dudes got out and jumped us. Atleast 4 on 1 ratio.
Sounds to me like you brought a knife to a gunfight!!

It took the cops 30 minutes to respond.
Okay. Who called them?? Why EXACTLY did it take so long?? How do you know it was 30 minutes from their call to arrival??

I did some inquiring and I found out the bar never called the police when the first assualt occured on thier property.
The bar has no obligation to contact the police. Apparently, they felt that the situation was controlled by their bouncers and the subjects left their premises.

I was wondering if they could be held liable for any of my damages?
Based solely on the contents of your post (and allowing for the HUGE potential bias and difference in stories), probably not. Of course, you can certainly go talk with a local attorney who could review ALL of the facts and advise you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">