• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can child supp touch my ssi?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clayton hansen

i live in ND but my child support is out of MN iam now on ssi for mental problems plus other problems my question is can child support in mn take any ssi away from me?if i would of been approved for ssd then my daughter would of gotton a check , but i was only approved for ssi , being on ssi my daughter does not get any help at all , so can mn do any thing to me?

Phnx02

clayton hansen said:
i live in ND but my child support is out of MN iam now on ssi for mental problems plus other problems my question is can child support in mn take any ssi away from me?if i would of been approved for ssd then my daughter would of gotton a check , but i was only approved for ssi , being on ssi my daughter does not get any help at all , so can mn do any thing to me?
SSI is a form of income. If you owe child support.....current or arrears......your checks can be garnished.

BL

SSI can NOT be touched ( taken ) for Child support . If the Poster had gotten SSDI possibly they would have .

abstract99

It is considered an income though. Just because he doesn't have the child support take directly from his check doesn't mean that it can't count as an income. Plust is mom is colectiong money fromt eh government then I am sure they will catch on to this.

BL

newguyhere said:
It is considered an income though. Just because he doesn't have the child support take directly from his check doesn't mean that it can't count as an income. Plust is mom is colectiong money fromt eh government then I am sure they will catch on to this.
Yes and the Poster " should " file for a modification to get the obligation ongoing payments lowered , other wise he/she will build up a LARGE amount of arrears , which some day could be recouped .

If that State has a minimum standard for indigent individuals , yes he may still be ordered to pay maybe $25 - $50>00 per month , plus any arrears .

Keep in mind that they may come after your drivers licenses , or any other licenses , any assets , Etc . Plus If your money is in the bank , count on them seizing the account . Then you will have to fight for it back .

genivieve

Most people receiving SSI also receive SSD. And child support CAN be garnished from SSD. When I volunteered at the homeless shelter my church has, the residents were later moved to a half way house. And with their application of income they have to provide a income verification statement from SSI/SSD and a copy of their check. When I would ask why the check differed from the income verification sheet, all would state it is child support deductions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">