• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kdwh

What is the name of your state? Ut.
My ex and I have agreed to an amount to modify a support order from 10 years ago. We are filing the paper ourselves. We have 3 children. How do I word it so that the support amount goes down to an agreed-upon amount as each child becomes ineligible for support? Also, some papers I've seen require that each party provide his/her income. Is that necessary if we are not using the support guidelines?

Paralegal

My impression is that the court will 'rubberstamp' an AGREEMENT between parties concerning a support amount even if it represents a significant deviation from the state guidelines. Some states require that your documents disclose the amount that would be payable if guidelines were followed...and then specify the actual amounts agreed to. As far as UT??

My decree has specific language regarding the incremental reduction of support as the children emancipate...I'm out of town but will post on Friday.

It may be worth a couple of hundred bucks to have a paralegal put your agreement in the proper format and in the correct language to enable it to sail through the court.

hotpants

My Ex And I Agreed On An Amount On The Child Support, We Changed The Tax Rights, And Visitation, Put It Very Basic On Paper, We Both Signed, And I Sent It To The Court For The Judge To Sign Off On. The Judge Signed Off And Everything Was Put Simpe So Their Would Be Bo Misunderstandings. Since The Judge Signed Off It Is Legal And Binding And The Court Still Has Jurisdiction. On Advice From My Attorney, I Sent It In To The Courts, He Stated That If You Just Agree In Writing That The Courts Cannot Force The Issue If The Ex Would Get In Arrears, But With The Judge Signing The Court Can. My Attorney Advised And Stated It Would Save Time And Money.

VeronicaGia

Kdwh said:
What is the name of your state? Ut.
My ex and I have agreed to an amount to modify a support order from 10 years ago. We are filing the paper ourselves. We have 3 children. How do I word it so that the support amount goes down to an agreed-upon amount as each child becomes ineligible for support? Also, some papers I've seen require that each party provide his/her income. Is that necessary if we are not using the support guidelines?
Word it so it is clear that support is based on a specific amount for each child. For instance, say support is $600/month. Word it so that it clearly states it is $200/month for child A, $200/month for child B and $200/month for child C, and that as each child emancipates according to state law, the support for that child will stop.

You really need legal help writing this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">