• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors are becoming campground & all night party!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeezee

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband and I purchased some property in the township four years ago, and built a home on it two years ago. The property next door was owned by someone from a neighboring town, and they would come and garden on it in the spring and summer. However, since we build our home, they have turned the vacant property into a campground! There are people living in campers year 'round, and in the summer, they drive them on every weekend, and some stay all summer. Up to 20 campers and motor homes a week! They build bon fires 20 ft tall (right next to our property line) and hoot and holler all night, even bringing in live bands at times. They are drunk and loud all the time, day and night. We called the County, they said its the Townships problem. We called the Township, and they said it belongs to the County, and we should call the police. Well, we have. The neighbors are using a police scanner to monitor complaints! The police cannot catch them "loud". We even asked the sheriff not to use the radio dispatch - they did anyway. Now, we have found out, these neighbors are related to some of the deputies! We can't leave our windows open in nice weather, due to the fires and noise. We are kept awake until 4:00am all weekends, rain or shine, with the noise. We cannot sell our house, because we couldn't get payoff yet. Besides, we built it as our "dream". We have talked to the other neighbors. They don't want to be a part of it, because they are afraid of these people. One older woman leaves her home every weekend - she's so afraid!
What can be done>? County and township don't want ownership!

Radio Scanner Advice

Hello,

I am quite sorry to hear about your problem. While I am not a lawyer nor posses knowledge equivalent of a professional lawyer, I do have interest in helping people out with their issues. I have taken a look on the Internet and have found that Michigan happens to be one of the states that has police scanner restrictions. I am not sure about the circumstances, but this is a quote from a web-site that I have found on the Internet. While you can question the integrity of the material, you can always look into the issue:

Michigan - (1999 law; no changes noted in 1999-2000 Supplement) - Police receiver radios in vehicles illegal unless an amateur radio operator with Technician-class license or above and with written permission.

So if I understand the statement correctly, if the neighbors have the radio scanners mounted inside their vehicles, it is illegal and you can take legal action against them.

I apologize in advance if this advice is incorrect or of little aid.

Good Luck!

Law_Student

S

seniorjudge

Squeezee said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband and I purchased some property in the township four years ago, and built a home on it two years ago. The property next door was owned by someone from a neighboring town, and they would come and garden on it in the spring and summer. However, since we build our home, they have turned the vacant property into a campground! There are people living in campers year 'round, and in the summer, they drive them on every weekend, and some stay all summer. Up to 20 campers and motor homes a week! They build bon fires 20 ft tall (right next to our property line) and hoot and holler all night, even bringing in live bands at times. They are drunk and loud all the time, day and night. We called the County, they said its the Townships problem. We called the Township, and they said it belongs to the County, and we should call the police. Well, we have. The neighbors are using a police scanner to monitor complaints! The police cannot catch them "loud". We even asked the sheriff not to use the radio dispatch - they did anyway. Now, we have found out, these neighbors are related to some of the deputies! We can't leave our windows open in nice weather, due to the fires and noise. We are kept awake until 4:00am all weekends, rain or shine, with the noise. We cannot sell our house, because we couldn't get payoff yet. Besides, we built it as our "dream". We have talked to the other neighbors. They don't want to be a part of it, because they are afraid of these people. One older woman leaves her home every weekend - she's so afraid!
What can be done>? County and township don't want ownership!

Search the forum for noisy neighbors.

One of the suggestions in that thread was to play William Shatner's CDs full blast all day long, especially after your bad neighbors have a party the night before.

Municode

Being unfamiliar with the city in which you reside, I cannot provide complete information, but visit the following URL:

http://www.municode.com/resources/code_list.asp?stateID=22

Once on the web-site, click on the name of your city and you should be able to find the laws pertaining to that particular city. I am sure if you look hard enough, you will be able to find noise-related topics. For example, I am doing research for someone on vehicle impoundment laws that apply specifically to the city in which I live. Thanks to the site, my research has been completed. If you need any help, let me know.

Law_Student

Squeezee

Reply to Law_Student

Unfortuneately, we do not live in a city. We live in a Township, Bellevue Twp. (in the country). Our Township is so small, it does not even have information on the web, and if you look into our County (Eaton), they barely have a website.
I certainly appreciate all advice. We do have a copy of the county zoning laws, and cannot find anything to help. As for the scanners, I believe that is in reference to the radar detectors in autos. Police and Fire radio scanners are not illegal. There was so much more that I did not write, because my submission was already so long. They also have a dirt track where they race dirt bikes, and they shoot guns at "varmints". All winter long, they stack garbage up, and burn it in the spring, and they have pallets that they stack up 20ft tall and have huge bon fires. The neighbor dogs and rats get into the trash all winter and drag it all over our yard. They set off illegal fireworks last year, and the ash was all over our cars and house. We took pictures, and the police told us we can't prove it came from next door. They have an outhouse on top of the creek that runs behind our property and theirs. The DEQ/EPA said they cannot do anything about it, because its not visible from the road. The Township refused to send anyone out to see the mess. Several old junk cars & trucks are there. They say because they cannot enter the property to inspect it. Trees cover it from the road, but not from us. Well, you know the most of it now!!
Again, thanks!
Squeezee

Last edited:

Squeezee

Reply to Senior Judge

seniorjudge said:
Search the forum for noisy neighbors.

One of the suggestions in that thread was to play William Shatner's CDs full blast all day long, especially after your bad neighbors have a party the night before.
Very funny! We actually talked about having tent revivals on our lawn every Sat. & Sun. night. Honestly, we can't be vindictive. It only makes the problem worse. We do that, they do something worse....ya' know?

S

seniorjudge

Squeezee said:
Very funny! We actually talked about having tent revivals on our lawn every Sat. & Sun. night. Honestly, we can't be vindictive. It only makes the problem worse. We do that, they do something worse....ya' know?

Okay, then tape record THEIR party and start playing it back about 6 a.m.

Act innocent....

You Are Guilty

Have you given any thought to letting the Overweight Nudists of America use your lawn for their annual meetings? Or how about inviting some local bikers to tune their rides at 6am on Sunday? Maybe an outdoor projector showing "On Golden Pond" over and over and over...? Just use your imagination, it's usually quite easy to out "bad-neighbor" a bad neighbor.

S

seniorjudge

You Are Guilty said:
...Maybe an outdoor projector showing "On Golden Pond" over and over and over...?
Really...that's being excessively cruel, don't you think?

But I do like the Overweight Nudist Biker idea....

Squeezee

You Are Guilty said:
Have you given any thought to letting the Overweight Nudists of America use your lawn for their annual meetings? Or how about inviting some local bikers to tune their rides at 6am on Sunday? Maybe an outdoor projector showing "On Golden Pond" over and over and over...? Just use your imagination, it's usually quite easy to out "bad-neighbor" a bad neighbor.
Pro-Se: Are you saying I have no case? I don't want a case, just a little peace. Why do civil rights seem to appear to help the violator? Good ole' boy network is what its really all about. We are hard working, educated people. But, we aren't related to half the sheriff deputies in the county. If it weren't for my grandchildren living nearby, I'd probably move to another county. One a little less hickerbilly. Oh, wait, this is Michigan. All counties are hickerbilly. (Forgot)...

Squeezee said:
Unfortuneately, we do not live in a city. We live in a Township, Bellevue Twp. (in the country). Our Township is so small, it does not even have information on the web, and if you look into our County (Eaton), they barely have a website.
I certainly appreciate all advice. We do have a copy of the county zoning laws, and cannot find anything to help. As for the scanners, I believe that is in reference to the radar detectors in autos. Police and Fire radio scanners are not illegal. There was so much more that I did not write, because my submission was already so long. They also have a dirt track where they race dirt bikes, and they shoot guns at "varmints". All winter long, they stack garbage up, and burn it in the spring, and they have pallets that they stack up 20ft tall and have huge bon fires. The neighbor dogs and rats get into the trash all winter and drag it all over our yard. They set off illegal fireworks last year, and the ash was all over our cars and house. We took pictures, and the police told us we can't prove it came from next door. They have an outhouse on top of the creek that runs behind our property and theirs. The DEQ/EPA said they cannot do anything about it, because its not visible from the road. The Township refused to send anyone out to see the mess. Several old junk cars & trucks are there. They say because they cannot enter the property to inspect it. Trees cover it from the road, but not from us. Well, you know the most of it now!!
Again, thanks!
Squeezee

From this post, I assume that you could possibly look into the following areas:

1. The guns (If they don't have a permit, they would face legal charges)
2. The garbage (Since burning vast amounts of garbage pollutes the environment, looking at the environmental protection laws could help).
3. The Pets (Dogs/Cats) Try to see if there is any reference in your bylaws or local restrictions regarding animals.

Also, instead of taking pictures, how about videotaping them as they are having the parties. If you decide to follow such an option, however, BEWARE OF CERTAIN PRIVACY LAWS. Make sure that you research this topic, as getting into problems with the law due to trying to solve a problem that your neighbors impose upon you is simply ridiculous.

You can also check the following web-sites to help you:

Michigan Most Frequently Requested Laws:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=mostrequested

Michigan Compiled Laws:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=ChapterIndex

Sorry if this doesn't help.

Law_Student

Last edited:

Happy Trails

Squeezee said:
Pro-Se: Are you saying I have no case? I don't want a case, just a little peace. Why do civil rights seem to appear to help the violator? Good ole' boy network is what its really all about. We are hard working, educated people. But, we aren't related to half the sheriff deputies in the county. If it weren't for my grandchildren living nearby, I'd probably move to another county. One a little less hickerbilly. Oh, wait, this is Michigan. All counties are hickerbilly. (Forgot)...
Pro-Se is just in YAG's signature line. It shows everytime he posts.

Without everyone getting together to try to find a remedy for this; it won't be easy to stop.

Are the owner's charging the campers?

S

seniorjudge

Happy Trails said:

Without everyone getting together to try to find a remedy for this; it won't be easy to stop.

This is why I gave up signature lines...no one knows what they are....

Squeezee

Happy Trails said:

I couldn't prove it (charging) if they were. Most of them are related. Anyway, I did get some good serious advice, which is all I really wanted. Living so far out in the country is the issue. It takes the Sheriff 3 hours or more to get there if we do call in a report. By then, the neighbors have the fires out, music down, etc. (thanks to the scanners).
I do agree with you: it won't be easy to stop without the neighbors. ONE FORTUNE OF GOOD LUCK - Our neighbor across the road called in the guns firing on Monday afternoon, just before we got home. Sheriff deputy parolled around the block for an hour! Maybe there is hope.

Thanks to all for your help! One more question: if we hired a lawyer, could they help? At least to get the Township to pay attention?

Yes, that is what the job of a lawyer is. However, I personally would think that before HIRING a lawyer, I would discuss all of your issues with an certified and reliable attorney who can look into your case and see if there are any legal actions against either your neighbors or the township administration. Since you currently aren't planning on suing anyone, I would just recommend scheduling a consultation with a lawyer and discussing your possible actions. Make sure to have as much information available as possible.

Law_Student

P.S. Can you provide any more insight on the event concerning your neighbors and them calling the police during one of the shootings?

P.S.S. Another topic that you could look into is possibly underage drinking. I am thinking if you managed to pile up all of the possible laws that are being broken and show proof of them, and then went to perhaps the chief of police or some higher administration, they could start keeping an eye out for the place. So like I said, look into these issues and consult them with your attorney:

1. Underage drinking (Party = young teenagers)
2. Illegal arm control
3. Environmental Pollution
4. Pet Restrictions
5. Noise Restrictions

Also, if the place isn't suitable for living, then you could possibly get the health department involved. Like I said, you should discuss this with an authorized attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">