• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement after abstract update

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roym

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York
My mother transferred property to me. We had the Abstract updated and everything was clear. One month later the trasfer was completed with no judgements showing. Now one year later I had a new update for mortgage purposes and found that there was a judgement placed against the property about two weeks after the first update and two weeks before the transfer. Shouldn't that have been found by my lawyer? Do I have any recourse? Thanks.

JETX

roym said:
Shouldn't that have been found by my lawyer?
Did you hire your attorney to perform a complete title search?? If so, then he should have found it.

Do I have any recourse?
Yes. You can file a claim against your title policy insurance (if you have a policy), or you can pay the judgment and sue the judgment creditor (your mother) to recover your damages.

Did you or your mother know of the judgment before the transfer??

nextwife

JETX said:
Yes. You can file a claim against your title policy insurance (if you have a policy), or you can pay the judgment and sue the judgment creditor (your mother) to recover your damages.
And, if the title insurer pays, they will turn around and sue her mother to recover the claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">