• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa Rosenthal

What is the name of your state?
California

The Real Estate Agent we hired to sell a townhome we had signed our names and his to the offers and counters without our knowledge !! Is this legal ??
We never gave him written or verbal authority to do this.

The property was sold for less than we had agreed upon because of this.

Is there a Real Estate law that will help me.

I realize this sounds unbelieveable... but it did happen..

Thank you, Lisa

BradleyS

Please confirm:

Did the RE Agent sign your name without obtaining written permission or Power of Attorney from both of you?

BradleyS

California License Law:

Grounds for Revocation or Suspension 10176. The commissioner may, upon his or her own motion, and shall, upon the verified complaint in writing of any person, investigate the actions of any person engaged in the business or acting in the capacity of a real estate licensee within this state, and he or she may temporarily suspend or permanently revoke a real estate license at any time where the licensee, while a real estate licensee, in performing or attempting to perform any of the acts within the scope of this chapter has been guilty of any of the following:

(d) Acting for more than one party in a transaction without the knowledge or consent of all parties thereto.

Link to CA License Law:
http://www.dre.ca.gov/relaw_pdf/Relaw.pdf

PghREA

Lisa Rosenthal said:
What is the name of your state?
California

The Real Estate Agent we hired to sell a townhome we had signed our names and his to the offers and counters without our knowledge !! Is this legal ??
We never gave him written or verbal authority to do this.

** No

The property was sold for less than we had agreed upon because of this.

** Did he not send you a copy of the sales agrrement after he signed it (and before closing?)

Is there a Real Estate law that will help me.

** See Bradley's response

I realize this sounds unbelieveable... but it did happen..

Thank you, Lisa
I can't believe that you did not see the contract prior to closing. If he forged your name, this should have been addressed then. You had to know the price, terms etc. prior to closing and you would have signed the deed and other paperwork at closing. By not saying something during the "under contract" period, this may be implied consent.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">