• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Rights violated BIG TIME...can I sue???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JacenRL

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? I live in Texas. Many, many, many layers to this story...but just to cut it as short as possible I had been a foster care provider for a mentally retarded adult lady for the last five years. I had never had any problems with my employer but over the last year I began reporting several instances of client abuse and neglect and other improprieties....in other words....I became a big ol' pain.
Shortly before Christmas I received a letter notifying me that I had been "terminated without cause". The whole situation became pretty ugly...the lady I took care of had a brother that came to my house and pounded on my door....SCREAMING!!..YELLING!!..Calling me non-stop on my phone as he was pounding on my door. I'm handicapped...not a little...ALOT...I was at my home...alone...with this lady...and my eighteen month old son. I was doing my best to keep her from opening the door...she knew it was her brother...my child was screaming...I called the 911 operator on my cell phone...she heard the pounding and screaming and even asked me if I had anything to defend myself with because it sounded BAD! She kept telling me DO NOT OPEN THAT DOOR...POLICE ARE ENROUTE...DO NOT OPEN THAT DOOR!! He took off before the police got there but I did make a report. Later that afternoon he called my husband at work and said "I don't know when....but I'm gonna find you and I'm gonna F*CK you up!!!!!"....again...a police report was made. After doing some research into earlier court records I found that this brother was at first BANNED from seeing her because of abuse....then later he was allowed to see her....but only for very short SUPERVISED visits. None of this was EVER told to me...not EVER! He was also on probation for ARSON! My employer knew ALL of this....NEVER informed me....NEVER WARNED ME! In my opinion they put my entire family in danger FOR YEARS....and they knew ALL ALONG!! There is also the issue of my disability...at first I really thought that had nothing to do with my termination. Then I did an Open Records Request...received several pages of nonsense...and then one page that I probably was not meant to see. It was a copy of a memo written by a lady that has met me MAYBE six
times over almost 15 years...in the memo she wrote that my "health had greatly deteriorated"....I was born with Spina Bifida....my health is pretty much the same as it was when I began working there. And unless this lady gave up her medical degree to become a Client Rights Officer...who is she to determine if my health has "DETERIORATED". And if there was some question as to my ability I think that if would be up to a doctor to make that call...NOT HER!!! It certainly was not grounds for terminating me!!!! One MAJOR roadblock that always keeps coming up is that according to them...I was not an employee...I was contracted...Does that mean I have no rights??????undefined

BelizeBreeze

I'm not going to try and answer your questions because frankly, it would take a few hours of face-to-face with you AND the documents to even start to get an handle on this.

I WILL tell you however that you need to move this out of this forum and into the employment law forum. Because your issues have less to do with civil rights than they do with employment law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">