• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Main Sewer Line Replacement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeh

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Before I contact my homeowners insurance company to possibly register an un-necessary claim, I need some general advice.

I am almost certain that in the very near future my main sewer line that runs from my house to the county sewer line will need replacing. It's apparently made of Orangeburg, a material used in the 1950's and 1960's which (as most are finding out) only lasts about 50 years before it starts to deteriorate. It's literally nothing more than tightly-woven cardboard fibers coated with tar. Anyway, we've had the line cleared several times in the last few months and from what I've read it's time to replace the line; the bill easily being in the region of $5,000 - $6,000.

I'm looking at my Horace Mann insurance policy, which doesn't clear state whether or not something like this would be covered. There is a water damage exclusion that states that losses caused by burst pipes, backed up lines etc... is not covered... but its not what was damaged I'm needing replaced... it's the line itself. There is also a general exclusion clause regarding losses resulting from of "wear and tear, marring, deterioration...".

Has anyone gone through something similar, and do you think that filing a claim with my homeowners insurance company is worthwhile?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds.

- Jon M

claimlaw

You will need to pay the $5-6K.

Water damage has nothing to do with it. Even if the sewerline collapsed and backed water/effluent into the house, the policy will not pay for the plumbing repair regardless of any water damage coverage.

You are out of luck.

Claimlaw

aliboome

Main line

Hi Jon,
I'm in CA and am having a similar problem. What did you end up doing?
Thanks
Ricki

Jeh said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Before I contact my homeowners insurance company to possibly register an un-necessary claim, I need some general advice.

I am almost certain that in the very near future my main sewer line that runs from my house to the county sewer line will need replacing. It's apparently made of Orangeburg, a material used in the 1950's and 1960's which (as most are finding out) only lasts about 50 years before it starts to deteriorate. It's literally nothing more than tightly-woven cardboard fibers coated with tar. Anyway, we've had the line cleared several times in the last few months and from what I've read it's time to replace the line; the bill easily being in the region of $5,000 - $6,000.

I'm looking at my Horace Mann insurance policy, which doesn't clear state whether or not something like this would be covered. There is a water damage exclusion that states that losses caused by burst pipes, backed up lines etc... is not covered... but its not what was damaged I'm needing replaced... it's the line itself. There is also a general exclusion clause regarding losses resulting from of "wear and tear, marring, deterioration...".

Has anyone gone through something similar, and do you think that filing a claim with my homeowners insurance company is worthwhile?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds.

- Jon M

justalayman

There is also a general exclusion clause regarding losses resulting from of "wear and tear, marring, deterioration...".
Kind of answered your own question there. If you get to claim this let me know, my roof is wearing out and my leachfield has been acting up a bit lately. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">