• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling and moving in with girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Michigan

I'm recently divorced and have been living with my new girlfriend for about 4 months. I have a quit claim for my home but have yet to file with the county (will soon). My problem is this:

If I sell my home, use income and profit to procure an out-building (2900sqft garage), to store and otherwise utilize, and change my primary (and only) residence to my GF's home, what are my legal ramifications in the event of catastrophe (relationship-wise)?

I have some issues already with the "plans for the future" regarding her 2 children. She plans on "giving" each child 5 acres of her 15 acre property. It's what her parents did and would help get them "going" as it did with her (Her siblings have either sold or lost property in business transactions, reducing the farm size by over 50%). There was no mention of when this would take place. I severely oppose this as I was raised on the notion that we'll get our inheritance when my parents die. Until then we have to establish ourselves financially and wont have the opportunity to piss it away prior too. What I'm afraid of is that these kids will get the land at 18 and quickly sell to get a few thousand dollars to buy a new car that they'll wreck in a few days. In the meantime, our homestead is quickly reduced into 3rds.

I realize that this is a big issue and it must be discussed prior to my homes sale (no real hurry for sale). I need not to sound greedy or that I'm only here for the land or for material reasons, while standing my ground on the issues that will directly effect me and would be detrimental to my enjoyment of life. This will take some time and carefully chosen words!

Will I gain any interest to this land if investing nearly $100K into development and monthly mortgage payments or will we have to get married and refinance under both names? What options do I have?

divgradcurl

stmfitr636 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Michigan

I'm recently divorced and have been living with my new girlfriend for about 4 months. I have a quit claim for my home but have yet to file with the county (will soon). My problem is this:

If I sell my home, use income and profit to procure an out-building (2900sqft garage), to store and otherwise utilize, and change my primary (and only) residence to my GF's home, what are my legal ramifications in the event of catastrophe (relationship-wise)?

I have some issues already with the "plans for the future" regarding her 2 children. She plans on "giving" each child 5 acres of her 15 acre property. It's what her parents did and would help get them "going" as it did with her (Her siblings have either sold or lost property in business transactions, reducing the farm size by over 50%). There was no mention of when this would take place. I severely oppose this as I was raised on the notion that we'll get our inheritance when my parents die. Until then we have to establish ourselves financially and wont have the opportunity to piss it away prior too. What I'm afraid of is that these kids will get the land at 18 and quickly sell to get a few thousand dollars to buy a new car that they'll wreck in a few days. In the meantime, our homestead is quickly reduced into 3rds.

I realize that this is a big issue and it must be discussed prior to my homes sale (no real hurry for sale). I need not to sound greedy or that I'm only here for the land or for material reasons, while standing my ground on the issues that will directly effect me and would be detrimental to my enjoyment of life. This will take some time and carefully chosen words!

Will I gain any interest to this land if investing nearly $100K into development and monthly mortgage payments or will we have to get married and refinance under both names? What options do I have?
The simple answer is: until your name is on the deed, or until you have been married long enough to have acquired a spousal share of your wife's property, then you have no claim to or interest in the land. Period. If you were to break up, then you could potentially sue her to recover some or all of the money you invested improving the land, but how much you get will depend on what agreements you have, what use you got out of the improvements, etc.

Also, if there is a mortgage on the property, a refinance into both of your names will not give you title to the land -- you need to have the deed changed in order to gain any ownership interest in the land.

Maybe you should and her should talk with an attorney to get all of this straightened out before anyone spends a lot of money that might be hard to recover if feelings change...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">