• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jblack10

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I have a question for anyone with any information. My husband has backpay for child support although he was paying just not through the courts. My question is this. He was in college and an athlete at the time. He was not allowed by the university or coaches to have a job. He also had government grants. Are there any laws/rules about being in school and being unable to work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jennifer

brisgirl825

I'm glad your husband feels that grants are more important than taking care of his kid.
Get a job and student loans like everyone else.

Sarah

S

seniorjudge

jblack10 said:

I have a question for anyone with any information. My husband has backpay for child support although he was paying just not through the courts. My question is this. He was in college and an athlete at the time. He was not allowed by the university or coaches to have a job. He also had government grants. Are there any laws/rules about being in school and being unable to work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jennifer
Q: Are there any laws/rules about being in school and being unable to work.

A: Yes and the law is that the child support must be paid.

VeronicaGia

jblack10 said:

Thanks, Jennifer
If there was such a rule I think we'd have to build a lot more colleges in this country.

In the very least, he should have paid through the courts as he was ordered. Now he will have to pay all that again. Even a high school kid can be ordered to pay support based on minimum wage.

jblack10

His baby was never hungry....

Silverplum said:
Athletics and coaches and school matter not in the face of a hungry baby.

No excuses.
His baby was never hungry. He was bettering himself with an education and a chance to play sports professionally. He now plays basketball professionally and his daughter gets any and everything she wants from her daddy.....I totally agree in child support. I do not agree with people manipulation the system which is what has happened in his case.

jblack10

Whatever....

brisgirl825 said:
I'm glad your husband feels that grants are more important than taking care of his kid.
Get a job and student loans like everyone else.

Sarah
I am glad you know the entire story to post judgement on my husband. I asked for help, not slandering thanks. I never said he did not take care of his kid. He was bettering himself with an education and the chance to some day play a professional sport. He now does and his daugheter gets any and everthing she wants from her father. He would not be able to do as much as he does now if he did not play then....thanks for the input.

LdiJ

jblack10 said:
His baby was never hungry. He was bettering himself with an education and a chance to play sports professionally. He now plays basketball professionally and his daughter gets any and everything she wants from her daddy.....I totally agree in child support. I do not agree with people manipulation the system which is what has happened in his case.
Do you know for a fact that his baby never had to do without? Were you there? Did mom need welfare while your husband was in school bettering himself? Just how did mom "manipulate" the system?

In any case, it would appear that a court has made its decision and I assume that your husband had proper legal counsel.

I am someone who seriously believes in a college education and in people bettering themselves. However their children still need to be supported one way or another while they are doing that. There are options.

haiku

jblack10 said:

I have a question for anyone with any information. My husband has backpay for child support although he was paying just not through the courts.

***What do you mean he WAS paying just not through the court? What are the arrears for then. If he was paying mom ,outside of a court order, while mom was collecting welfare, he now owes welfare because he has given welfare NO record of his support, had he gone through court then, he would have been paying the state directly, and his balance would have been paid now. with only the mother liable someday for repayment for thier childs care. ***

My question is this. He was in college and an athlete at the time. He was not allowed by the university or coaches to have a job. He also had government grants. Are there any laws/rules about being in school and being unable to work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

***once your husband knew he was a daddy, he became 50% responsible for that child. no one cared how he paid for it, but he needed too. by either quitting school or going part time, or staying in school and borrowing the money for child support, so that it is paid. That is the only law.

If someone else took on 100% of the cost, they are owed that money back.
and if the state paid his share of the childs needs, they would now like reimbursment.

because he was able to stay in school fulltime and graduate, now he must have a great job, and is able to pay back the help he recieved to raise his child without him right?****

Thanks, Jennifer

Silverplum

jblack10 said:
The bolded line above is why I don't believe your story.

IF he is a pro b-ball player, then he has the $$ for a lawyer. And there would be no need for free advice from the internet. Even if he is not paid like Shaq is, he still has $$ for an attorney to advise him.

IF he is a pro b-ball player, has $$, has a lawyer to advise him, has a kid to whom he gives "any and everything", PLUS has a wife who believes in paying CS...then why are you here?

If *DAD* has a problem with *his* CS payments or arrears situation and/or *his* daughter and/or *his* ex, then *he* should be consulting his attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">