• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Property Owners Responsibilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowpro

What is the name of your state? MARYLAND
at the place of my employment, there are security gates which require one to swipe an access badge from inside your vehicle to enter the employee parking lot. there are 3 gates total, with 2 being for entrance in the morning and 2 being for exit in the evening.

a huge pothole has developed the size if which is greater than a basketball at one of the gates. it is impossible to enter through this gate and be able to swipe the badge without going right into the pothole.

i went to the management office yesterday and first asked if they were aware of the pothole. unlikely, as it has been there for over 3 weeks. the woman replied yes with no further reply. i then asked if they were going to be repairing the pothole. she now replied that she was unsure as they "have some plans for the parking lot". i asked what she meant and did not get a much clearer answer. i assume they are going to be repaving the lot as it needs it. so i asked when this was going to take place. she then replied "soon". so i now i had to aske what "soon" meant. again, i was not able to get an answer.

so my question is; what responsibilty does the property owner or management have with regard to repairing this pothole? it ceratinly is not safe, even at a crawl and cannot be good for the vehicle.

i hope this is clear, feel free to ask questions.

thanks

snowpro

HomeGuru

snowpro said:
What is the name of your state? MARYLAND
at the place of my employment, there are security gates which require one to swipe an access badge from inside your vehicle to enter the employee parking lot. there are 3 gates total, with 2 being for entrance in the morning and 2 being for exit in the evening.

a huge pothole has developed the size if which is greater than a basketball at one of the gates. it is impossible to enter through this gate and be able to swipe the badge without going right into the pothole.

i went to the management office yesterday and first asked if they were aware of the pothole. unlikely, as it has been there for over 3 weeks. the woman replied yes with no further reply. i then asked if they were going to be repairing the pothole. she now replied that she was unsure as they "have some plans for the parking lot". i asked what she meant and did not get a much clearer answer. i assume they are going to be repaving the lot as it needs it. so i asked when this was going to take place. she then replied "soon". so i now i had to aske what "soon" meant. again, i was not able to get an answer.

so my question is; what responsibilty does the property owner or management have with regard to repairing this pothole? it ceratinly is not safe, even at a crawl and cannot be good for the vehicle.

i hope this is clear, feel free to ask questions.

thanks

snowpro
**A: the mgt./property owner is responsible. In the meantime, have someone throw some gravel or place a cut piece of 3/4 plyboard over the area. Or buy a Humvee.

Last edited:

snowpro

HomeGuru said:
**A: the mgt./property owner is responsible. In the meantime, have someone throw some gravel or place a cut piece of 3/4 plyboard over the area. Or by a HumVee.
That's what i thought. but if an individual went and tried to "fix" it; what would that persons liability be?

by the way, i have a nice big jeep with a nice big suspension lift and slightly big tires, so that pothole is more of a minor inconvinience to me; but to the people who drive normal cars...

snowpro

HomeGuru

snowpro said:
That's what i thought. but if an individual went and tried to "fix" it; what would that persons liability be?

**A: it depends.

by the way, i have a nice big jeep with a nice big suspension lift and slightly big tires, so that pothole is more of a minor inconvinience to me; but to the people who drive normal cars...

**A: yes, most people are normal and drive normal cars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">