• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pay for half of my daughters braces?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wisdad

What is the name of your state? wisconsin

A year ago my daughter got braces put on. Now my ex-wife wants me to pay for half the bill. I have joint legal custody of my daughter and disagreed with the braces being put on until I could afford to pay for half.
She did it anyway and the family court commissioner said at a hearing that braces are a "fact of life". What are my options

LdiJ

wisdad said:
What is the name of your state? wisconsin

A year ago my daughter got braces put on. Now my ex-wife wants me to pay for half the bill. I have joint legal custody of my daughter and disagreed with the braces being put on until I could afford to pay for half.
She did it anyway and the family court commissioner said at a hearing that braces are a "fact of life". What are my options
If the family court commissioner has already ruled that you have to pay..then your only option would be to appeal. That might end up costing you as much or more than the braces.

ablessin

Unless your divorce decree says you don't have to pitch in towards medical expenses, you're gonna have to fork over the money.

Some things can't wait until you have the "extra" money to pay for it- - - because stuff like that is necessary and there will always be something "better" to spend the cash on.

You're going to have to pay - sorry - not much you can do - and by refusing you're going to make your daughter feel bad.

alive and well

Yes Im also in the same boat, as a american living in phuket thailand. Now have lost some of my new family, and also my company in the tidle wave. I got a phone call from the ex also, My son needs the same. But in my case will have to file to help pay in three months. But this hawaii laws , not sure in your state.
Also look out for this issue, most companys have easy pay plans. And in my case really dont know if he needs them asap or not.

JASMINEA

Children need braces to help their self-esteem. Get over yourself and reset your priorities, you big baby!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">