• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hoa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crankyhomeowner

What is the name of your state?Virginia

We have lived in our house for 13 years. We are now in the process of selling our house and found out that our previously approved vinyl shed is no longer in compliance. It is non compliant because the roof is not the same color of the roof on the house. We were told we can not paint it and would have to tear it down. It is a beautiful shed that really adds to the house and yard. I have all the approval paper work from the Homeowners Association. They changed the laws a few years after we put our shed up. Isn't the approval like a contract? The HOA states that a resident is "grandfathered" in until the resident sells the house. I know another neighbor who has the same shed, sold her home, and painted it to become complian but they tell me this is not acceptable. What are my options? Thanks for any advice.

Shel77

Read the CC&R's most likly it states and shed over a certian height must be SHINGLED to match the roof of the house, thats what our's says if thats the case ask if that could be done.

"I have all the approval paper work from the Homeowners Association. They changed the laws a few years after we put our shed up. Isn't the approval like a contract?"

Yes and it also states that;

"The HOA states that a resident is "grandfathered" in until the resident sells the house."

So it is like a contract one that reads that if the rules change you are grandfathered in but the new buyer isn't which means that they will go after the NEW homeowner to remove the shed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">