• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University Police Enforcement of Parking on Non-University Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TomA

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

A local university leases part of a privately-owned commercial building and part of that building's parking lot for faculty offices and classes. (University decals are required for that part of the lot.) The rest of the building and parking lot is leased to a Federal agency. The campus police enforce parking in the university's area of the lot which is marked with signs.

Recently the campus police have begun issuing citations to people (mostly students) that are parked in the Federal agency's part of the lot without a decal for the Federal agency. Apparently this is done with the permission of the private landlord and the Federal agency.

My question is: do the campus police have jurisdiction to issue citations in that part of a private parking lot? One local attorney says yes, because he believes that "the university is under contract with the owner of the building and most likely is provided for therein--i.e. that tenant is in breach if it allows its faculty, visitors, staff, students and others to park in non [university] designated areas. Students, faculty and others are also bound by the parking regulations."

However, it seems that enforcing the parking restrictions of a Federal agency would be out of the jurisdiction of campus police. I would think that the Federal agency would have to have the cars towed away if that is what it wished to do.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">