• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meds lowered inhibition and I shoplifted, now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elisedarling

I live in Oklahoma. While taking anti-depressant that I believe lowered my inhibitions, I shoplifted a necklace ($50) from a department store. I was arrested and issued a ticket for shoplifting. This is completely out of character for me and I have no prior criminal record. While I did commit the crime, I feel that the circumstances are extenuating and I would like to aviod having anything permanent on my record. When I go to court I am not sure how to plea...I think not guilty by reason of temporary insanity seems a little much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elise

A

absconder

I hope you got to keep the necklace cus your going to pay for it.

Elisedarling

I need some ADVICE, not one-liners.

I also wanted to say that this is legitimate, not an exuse. I have had to quit my job and withdraw from school to care for my autistic special needs child. Recently my husband decided that I'm not as fun as I used to be and has asked me for a divorce. He was my highschool sweetheart and all of this was really screwing me up. I started taking an anti-depressant and it helped, but I noticed myself saying things I would have normally keep to myself. I knew it was from the meds, but when you are trying to keep from slitting your wrists, being a bitch doesn't seem so bad. I took the necklace with no real reason at all. I could have easily paid for it. I know I would have never done that before, because I never did. I really need someone to at least explain what will probably happen. If I have to pay a fine that is okay, but I don't know how I could do community service because I have no care for my daughter. My mother is having to drive up from Texas so I can go to court for the ticket. And, like I said, I would hope there was a way to keep it off my record.

Elise

A

absconder

Talk to the ADA in the jurisdiction where this ocurred and see if they have adjudicated probation and if theyll agree to it. Or any kind of probation where if you successfully complete it it wont go on your record. A $50 THEFT CHARGE DOESNT SEEM LIKE MUCH BUT TO A POTENTIAL EMPLOYER ITS A BIG RED FLAG...........GOOD LUCK. And when you go to court dress like a nun and act like the judge is GOD.

rmet4nzkx

There are no antidepressant medications that will induce tempoary insanity, so that you would shoplift. In most cases an insanity defense doesn't work. Sometimes a defense is, not guilty by reason of brief psychotic episode. However, when you further explain that you have an Autistic child and suicidal tendencieies it is possible that you also have an Autism Spectrum disorder, as these run in families, one of which might cause you to react differently than expected to medications and to have certain belief systems and communication and social problems.

You need to do several things:

1. See your psychiatrist and report the type of activities, your feelings and reactions since being on the medication, also ask for evaluation for Autism Spectrum Disorders including, Asperger's Syndrome which affects persons with normal to high intelligence. If some other doctor other than a psychiatrist is providing the antidepressant Rx, do the same and ask for a referal to a psychiatrist. You will need a letter from the doctor/s re your diagnosis and treatment.

2. Retain an attorney or request an attorney, a public defender if you cannot afford one to handle your defense, they can defend you and possibly negoiate a deferred judgement or diversion program for you.

3. Contact your court and ask re the ADA coordinator. Explain your entire situation, your disability and that you are primary caregiver for a disabled child. There are limits to what ADA accommodations can be used, for example, you may feel more comfortable reading or answering your questions in writing, or more time to answer, or to have the questions explained if you don't understand. You might also ask for a continuance to have more time to respond to the citation.

It is important to be honest. that is how people can help you and that when you communicate with others, that you understand them and they understand you. Don't say you understand somehting if you do not.

It is important that you pay for things when shopping and that if you can't or don't want to pay for something, put the item back, the same rules of society also apply to you, even if you have mental illness or a disability.

Shay-Pari'e

Elisedarling said:
I live in Oklahoma. While taking anti-depressant that I believe lowered my inhibitions, I shoplifted a necklace ($50) from a department store. I was arrested and issued a ticket for shoplifting. This is completely out of character for me and I have no prior criminal record. While I did commit the crime, I feel that the circumstances are extenuating and I would like to aviod having anything permanent on my record. When I go to court I am not sure how to plea...I think not guilty by reason of temporary insanity seems a little much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elise
Sorry, but Anti Depressants do not have that effect of people.

You shoplifted, end of story. Pay the piper and never shoplift again.

You have no defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">