• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Lights are out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uniccco

What is the name of your state? North Carolina my wife took out charges of domestic violence violence that didnt happen it was her scheme to get me removed from the home to continue her cheating while i couldnt go back to the home for ten days i had the utilities turned off will i get in trouble for this or maybe have to pay allimony we were only married 3 months we have no children together

When I last looked, a person cannot qualify for alimony because another person of the same relationship, wickedly turned out the lights. Also, the OOP is the fastest way to get someone out the house, I would encourage you to seperate all assests as fast as you can from the long and enduring relationship of 3 months. I do not know of a court who would award alimony to someone who was married for 3 hopeful months.

djohnson

3 months is not a significant marriage for anyone to get anything. As for the lights, you have the right to open and close any account in your name. She can have them turned back on in hers. Depending on state law and company policy it may not matter as long as you are married. Some require both to be listed.

ablessin

I live in NY and both spouses names do not need to be listed on utility accounts. However, I was told when my ex and I split up that since the accounts were only in my name, I'd have to pay it and then shut it off and then he could get an account in his name only - -it was sort of a pain.

But don't let the account fall behind!!!!

Get your belongings and move on . . . 3 months is no time for alimony!!!!!! You're safe there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">