• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured in a store by an employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaish

What is the name of your state? BC.

I went shopping at a major store yesterday & got hurt by one of the employees.

I took a shopping cart from a row of them & tried putting my toddler in the seat. She didnt get in properly so I lifted her up to try again. As she was standing an employee who had been playing with the carts pushed the row of carts into me. It hit me on an odd angle with the point of impact being my right hip in the back. My upper body jerked backwards a bit & I felt a pain on the left side of my spine.

A witness saw it & kinda gasped but continued on her way. I turned to look at the woman who hit me & she imediately started playing with the other row of carts.

I figured it was an accident & I would have a sore hip & went to do my desperately needed shopping.

I walked up about 10 aisles when I started getting pain on both sides of my spine. I know from getting hurt in the past that this isnt a good thing. So I slowly walked back to the entrance to confront the woman. She is disabled, so I asked another employee what I am supposed to do.

The manager was called, we went to the first aid room, & the attendant said it sounds like lower back whiplash. They gave me a cold pack & took my statement.

I went to do what shopping I could & was unable to take things from above my head or from down below. I went to the checkout & had to get help with taking the stuff out of the cart.

I called DH to come get us & as I stood waiting, (because sitting in the first aid room hurt alot) the spot that I was hit was hurting along with the rest of my lower back. DH came & took me to my dr. I have a sprained back. I can't take care of my toddler properly nor can I clean/take care of the house propperly.

I have to get someone to come help me with both until I am able to move freely again.

Friends are saying I should sue them. Yet I feel bad about doing it because even though it is their responsiblity to supervise the disabled employees(& there was no one), I don't want her to be reprimanded.

I want to know if they are responsible for paying for someone to help me out. I know that they are for medical expenses but other than that I have no idea.

I am at a total loss as to what I am supposed to do. They still haven't called me & it is 5pm. Should I call them? Should I call a lawyer? What am I supposed to do? Do I just take the original attitude & say whatever, get on with life & pay the bills myself? Should I ask them for compensation or wait for them to offer it. If so what is reasonable? As I said before I am clueless when it comes to legal stuff. I just know that this isnt right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">